Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search issue - Uses list to excel?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
tegstette
536 Views, 3 Replies

Search issue - Uses list to excel?

1. I would like to export the list "Uses" for an iam e.g. to excel. Is this possible with Vault Pro 2013?
  2. Is it possible to search for files within a file (child/uses)?
  3. I would also like to create a list of idw's including in an iam. Possible?

Advice most appreciatedSmiley Happy

TG

Best regards
TG

Autodesk Inventor/Vault Professional 2021
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
cbenner
in reply to: tegstette

To export to Excel, click the "Uses" tab to view it.  Go to Files\Export and specify the file type to export to.  I tried an Excel... it worked, but took a little tweaking to make it readable.  All the data were there, though.

Can't find anything that would let me say yes or no on your second question.

EDIT:

To search within a file:  highlight the file pn Project Exporer and use the Search window at the top of the screen.  Under options, select "Search File Content".  Expant the search window using the double arrow symbol on the left side of the search window.  If not already there, use Add Criteria to add File Name to the search options.  In File Name type *.*, and the search results will show all files embedded in the file selected.  You could also narow that by typing *. ipt, or *.iam... etc.  These results can also be exported... though not as cleanly.  LOL

For the third,... iam's don't include drawings,... but they can be the children of an idw.  To get that list, use the "Where Used" tab.  It will show a list of any idw's that use that iam.  You can export that just like the Uses tab.

Hope all this rambling helps!

Message 3 of 4
tegstette
in reply to: cbenner

Thank you for your answer. Somehow I didn't see this answer and your edit... But thanks againSmiley Happy

But I cannot seem to get this search to work... I try to follow your instructions but the search result shows all files in the folder.

E.g. I want to find all files that has a custom property Machining = "C" within the assembly 13570.iam.

I highlight the 13570.iam

Under options I check for "Search file content"

Filename *.*

Machining C

Please see attached pic.

What am I doing wrong?

(In the Vault-viewer I am able to find all these files easily by filtering.)

Best regards
TG

Message 4 of 4
tegstette
in reply to: cbenner

I also should mension that my search-result (in the attached pic in my last reply) gives med all files with maching porperty "C" in the folder (not in the structure of 13570.iam). The files in the structure of my 13570.iam can be in many different folders in the Vault.

I also wonder if I need to enable Content indexing service on my Vault in ADMS to get this result I am after?

I hope I am able to explain what search result I am after... Here is another example of what I want to find:

Let's say I have designed a big factory called Factory.iam. In this Factory.iam I have 20 machines (iams) in the structure. Each machine have their own structure including frames, motors, cylinders, covers, bolt, nuts, etc.

In one search I want to find all motors including in the structure of Factory.iam. The motors are saved in different folders under my standard content in Vault (it can be electric, pneymatic, hydraulic,... motors).

Here is the way I can manage to find this information: I choose my assembly and Export the "Uses" list to excel. Now I have the entire structure in one excel-sheet and I can Filter the columns I want. So in my example over I can Filter the Title-column for "motor" an I have the list over all motors in my Factory. BUT this is rather time-consuming and tomorrow my excel-list will be outdated...

Best regards
TG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report