Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STEP files

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
jacornej
281 Views, 3 Replies

STEP files

My company has just recently switched to Inventor 2010 from SolidWorks.

We have many assemblies saved as STEP files and we are trying to cut down on duplicate parts in our vault. Is there any way to have it automatically search the vault for the parts that are already in the vault. Currently it only searches our local drives. We try not to have files on our Local drives unless they're checked out because of our large library

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Cadmanto
in reply to: jacornej

What version of vault are you running?

I know in 2012 vault workgroup there is a setting within the vault that prevents duplicate files names.

vault.JPG

Is this what you are talking about?  Once things are checked out on to your local, vault still tracks it and will crab if a file with the same name as on already in the vault tries to be check in.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 4
jacornej
in reply to: Cadmanto

We are running Vault 2012.

I checked that option and all it does is prevent the file from being checked in if it already exsist.

What I want it to do is to reassociate the files to the one that are already in the vault. Is this possible?

Message 4 of 4
swalton
in reply to: jacornej

I am not aware of any solution other than fixing each assembly in Inventor and then checking it into vault.  After all the assemblies are fixed, I think you will have to re-create the drawings.  I don't think that IV will import those at all.

You might be better off assuming everything from Solidworks is static and will never change. Treat those designs as purchased components from an outside vendor.  Only add Solidworks components to Vault if you need them for a new product.    When you bring in an old Solidworks component, you can save it in the correct directory and you will have only one copy in Vault.  If you need to revise or alter the old component, remodel it from scratch in Inventor before you bring it into Vault.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report