Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAVE AS DIRTIES FILE

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
BLHDrafting
480 Views, 6 Replies

SAVE AS DIRTIES FILE

Why does using SAVE AS dirty the originating file? See graphic below, original file 35483-02100 is okay. But after I open that assy and do a SAVE AS the originating file is dirtied in the parent assy (see 2nd graphic). Is this a bug? Should this be fixed? I know there are other methods (Vault Copy Design and such) but to make a simple new assy with a change or 2 SAVE AS should suffice. Comments appreciated.

BEFORE_SAVE_AS.JPG

AFTER_SAVE_AS.JPG

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
john.laidler
in reply to: BLHDrafting

When using the Vault, utilizing 'save as' is not recommended.  A better solution would be to use 'copy design' from within the Vault.

John Laidler
AutoCAD, Inventor and Vault

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.
Message 3 of 7
mikel_martin

I don't know of any reason that vault would cause you to not be able to use save as.
Does the file become dirty if you are not using Vault.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 4 of 7
BLHDrafting
in reply to: john.laidler

Yep, I get that by the fact that it dirties the file. But it is a valid method of saving a copy. Thanks.

Brendan Henderson

Twitter @BLHDrafting

ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 5 of 7
BLHDrafting
in reply to: mikel_martin

Hi Mikel. Not sure about this when working outside of Vault. The below is copied from an email I received from our support supplier.

"The dirty subassembly only appears while having the main assembly open. When closing the main assembly, I am prompted to save. If I say no and re-open the assembly, subassembly doesn't appear dirty anymore. I have seen this in the past quite a few times and have always resolved by using this method. Not sure if a bug but would be a great enhancement if commands such as Save As would not dirty the original file as it confuses users and adds additional steps (close, don't save, reopen, etc) to the workflow."

I understand the other posters opinion (jclaidler) but think that this 'apparently' dirtied file bug should be fixed. The unknowing user would check the file out and in which is clearly un-needed. Using Save As is just a quick and simple method of creating a new assy (or part as this bug also dirties part files) so that I can swap out 1 piece of the assy with another. Copy Design is great although sometimes laboursome and I think is an overkill for creating new versions of small assemblies.

Brendan Henderson

Twitter @BLHDrafting

Message 6 of 7
sathersc23

We used to experience this all of the time. I now use the "Save and Replace component" command buried in the Assemble/Productivity menu. Using this, I've stopped dirtying files, and can save a little time too as it goes right to naming the file, replaces it in the assembly immediately. I can then open it for editing.

Ground and root, rename browser node, DOF analysis, and Alpha Sort components are also useful tools buried here.

Sam Sather
CAD Admin
Inventor 2014
Vault Pro 2014 SR: 1 SP: 1
Intel Xeon X5690 @ 3.47 GHz
48.0 GB Ram
Windows 7 x64
AMD FirePro V7900 - 8.830.5.6000

----------------------------

"We have not succeeded in answering all our problems. The answers we have found only serve to raise a whole set of new questions. In some ways we feel we are as confused as ever, but we believe we are confused on a higher level and about more important things." - Earl C. Kelley
Message 7 of 7
BLHDrafting
in reply to: sathersc23

Thanks Sam. I use a few of those ribbom commands but not Save And Replace. I'll give it a go. Still, I woul like the apparent bug to be fixed. Have to log it on the wishlist 🙂

Brendan Henderson

Twitter @BLHDrafting

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report