Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring a Vault 2011 DB to a remote server prior to upgrading to Vault 2012

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
billco-mfg
732 Views, 3 Replies

Restoring a Vault 2011 DB to a remote server prior to upgrading to Vault 2012

I apologize in advance for the long post.  The post goes in a few different directions:

Currently we have Vault 2011 running on Windows Server 2003 with SQL Server 2005.  Apaprently Vault 2012 only works with SQL 2008.  I have setup a new server with SQL Server 2008 Standard SP2 and would like to have the Vault DB reside on the remote server and have the FileStores reside on the local server.  What is the best way to accomplish this?

I have reinstalled Vault2011/12 numerous times already.  The first question is:  can the Vault 2011 database reside on SQL 2008 SP2 (not R2)?  One attempt I made was to backup the database, reinstall Vault 2011 Collaboration selecting the remote SQL Server as the DB location, and then have the restore pointing the DB to the remote server and filestores locally.  After and hour or two I receive an error saying "The selected database restore location must reside on a local drive".  I am positive that the share name on the remote server has adequate eprmissions (learned the hard way before having to change the impersonation account to a domain account).  Is the error because Vault 2011 does not support a SQl 2008 DB?  If this is the case, how do I go about accomplishing my goal?

Currently, I am restoring the DB and FileStores both locally on the existing SQL 2005 local server.  When it is complete, can I perform an upgrade of Vault2012 and point to a new database location?  I foresee a problem because I suspect that while doing the upgrade it will tell me that SQL 2005 is not supported.  So is my only option to first upgrade to SQL 2008 on the existing server just to allow the Vault 2012 to upgrade, and then afterwards, move the database to the remote server?  Ultimately I do NOT want the DB on the Vault server.

Last question-when specifying the share path for the remote server, how exactly should it be entered?  If I have a share called "VaultShare" on a server called "SQLSERVER" should it be entered as \\sqlserver\vaultshare (full UNC path) or should I create a mapped drive?  When I entered it via UNC I received no errors but the restore did not complete.

Thank you,

Jennifer Hart

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Vlad.Makarov
in reply to: billco-mfg

"would like to have the Vault DB reside on the remote server and have the FileStores reside on the local server.  What is the best way to accomplish this?"

I don't think Vault allows for this scenario. The response "the selected database restore location must reside on a local drive" confirms it to me. Your many different questions keep coming back to this single scenario. I think you are looking for any possible workaround to make this happen. Hopefully a dev will chime in with a possible workaround.

billco-mfg
in reply to: Vlad.Makarov

It most definitely is possible.  It is an option when installing Vault.  It asks under Installation Type 'Local Database" or "Remote Database". 

Message 4 of 4
ihayesjr
in reply to: billco-mfg

Jennifer,

According to your signature you are using Vault Collaboration.  You can install this edition with a remote SQL setup on a different server.  To do so you will need to pre-install the SQL server, configure a share on the server where Vault server will be installed and configure the installer to point to the remote SQL location.  See the following links for help.

How do I Install Vault Server - See the Remote Database section.

Install SQL Prior to Vault

Recommended order:

1. Perform a backup of the 2011 database.

2. Install SQL Server using the link above.

3. Install Vault 2012 using the link above.

4. Perform a restore of the backup from step 1 on the Vault 2012 database.

Hope this helps.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report