Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace Vault License Server

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
cmcconnell
1186 Views, 12 Replies

Replace Vault License Server

Hello,

I need to move my license server to a different box. I searched the forum and all I could find were references to the licensing server in relation to AutoCAD.

Is it as simple as installing the license manager on my server of choice and aquiring a new license file from Adesk? I know the license server is specified during the Vault install - how do I force the clients to look at the new server without re-installing?

Also, all of my servers are vitualized - I have seen some old posts about the license manager not being supported on a virtualized sevrer (again from an AutoCAD related post) - is this true?

Mechanix Design Solutions inc.
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
DarrenP
in reply to: cmcconnell

@CMCCONNELL wrote:
Is it as simple as installing the license manager on my server of choice and aquiring a new license file from Adesk?
yes it is
I know the license server is specified during the Vault install - how do I force the clients to look at the new server without re-installing?
you can just use this enviroment variable: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-specify-license-se...

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 13
DarrenP

@CMCCONNELL wrote:
Also, all of my servers are vitualized - I have seen some old posts about the license manager not being supported on a virtualized sevrer (again from an AutoCAD related post) - is this true?

no it is not you can use a virtual machine as long as the MAC address is static

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 13
m.mees

Hello,

I think it is worth pointing out that only the Vault server communicates with the license server, not the clients.

Regards.

Marco

Message 5 of 13
DarrenP
in reply to: m.mees

yes good point

let me rephrase my answer

on the computer with the vault server installed you need to deploy the enviroment variable i mentioned above

then you need to do the same with the computers that have autocad/inventor installed

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 6 of 13
cmcconnell

Thanks guys.

It doesn't seem to be working - here is what I did:

1. Installed license manager on new server
  2. Grabbed the Server name and Host ID
  3. requested license files for 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
  4. combined 4 license files into one
  5. pointed new license manager at new license file
  6. started license service and performed status inquiry
  7. service started licenses avaliable, non checked out
  8. added environment variable to vault server as per http://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-specify-license-se...
  9. Start Vault Explorer on client
  10. Failed to aquire license.

What next?

Message 7 of 13
cmcconnell
in reply to: DarrenP

"then you need to do the same with the computers that have autocad/inventor installed"

I missed this on my first read through - I will give it a shot...

Message 8 of 13
cmcconnell

It still fails to aquire license...

Message 9 of 13
m.mees

Hi,

for Vault please try changing the entry for the license server in "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\ADMS XXX 20xx\LICPATH.LIC" on the Vault server.

Regards.

Marco

Message 10 of 13
DarrenP

@CMCCONNELL wrote:

It still fails to aquire license...

is this with vault or the other autodesk products or both?

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 11 of 13
cmcconnell

I tried that - but it didn't work.

Turns out it was becasue of my server - it is running Server 2012R2 64bit. I installed the files from this thread: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Vault-General/Failed-to-acquire-a-license-Licensing-Error-319/td-p/347...

I should have thought of that (I have seen it before)

Thanks for the help guys - much appreciated.

Message 12 of 13
DarrenP

try logging into vault using the Ip address of the server where the vault server is installed instead of the servername

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 13 of 13
ryan

All Autodesk products use the LICPATH.LIC file, stored at the root of the installation directory, to know which server to communicate with to retrieve a license.

The only difference with Vault products is that the client does not communicate with the license server.  Instead, the client logs in to the server and it retrieves the license on behalf of the client.  For this reason, there is no LICPATH.LIC file anywhere in the client install, rather, you will find this at the root of the vault server install.  

So, once the new license server is up and running, one simply needs to change the entry in the LICPATH.LIC file (often I find putting in the IP address instead of the server name yields better results).   Since we are talking vault, where this file is only on the server, changing it there will apply to all the vault clients.

-Ryan

Ryan Small
National Team Leader, Data Management and Software Development
SolidCAD, a Cansel Company (an Autodesk Platinum Partner)
www.solidcad.ca

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums