Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming and moving Workspace folder within Vault ("Designs")

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
hans.martin.haga
1256 Views, 6 Replies

Renaming and moving Workspace folder within Vault ("Designs")

What are the possible consequences and obstacles of renaming the workspace folder in a Vault? Or moving it?

We have a customer who has named their workspace folder in Vault "$\Konstruksjon" (Norwegian for "Designs"), which will look somewhat strange when we enable Vault replication to other sites outside Norway.

As each site want their own top level folder, my thought was to do as follows:

Move and rename $\Konstruksjon to $\Designs\Sitename1

Create folder for additional sites below $\Designs, e.g. $\Designs\Sitename2, $\Designs\Sitename2

Obviously, a new project file will be needed. My concern is that Inventor/Vault stores file relations within the Inventor files, e.g. files that have been moved in Vault and not yet opened by Inventor.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

It should be ok for you to do as long as you setup your project file correctly. Make sure you check all files back into vault before you do it, this should stop any errors.

As long as all your file are checked out to the same project file it shouldnt give you any problems.

To do this go into vault as an admin

Tools > Admin > Vault Settings > Working Folder > Define

The best setup would be to enforce the project file and working folder across vault as shown in the picture

vault.jpg

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chris Rodway
Design Engineer
Sheffield, UK
Message 3 of 7

I may have misunderstood your intent. But I would not recommend moving these from a users local workspace.

I would just move the entire folder in Vault to the new parent folder.

Vault has the ability to handle file references that will be changed as a result of this move.

Because your project file points to a given folder currently and where you will be moving to will temporarly not be part of your project file path, Vault may warn you when you go to do the move but it should not block you.

Because Vault updates the references the next time you download/open (not at the time of move) this should not be an issue. Just be sure to update the project file before you do any further downloads or opens.

For good messure you should also encourge all the users to clear thier local workspaces beforing using the Vault again.

If not they will end up with duplicate files on disk and that is always a recept for baddness. 🙂

hope this helps

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 4 of 7

Thanks Mikel

I'm now trying to move a folder in Vault, from the old workspace (Konstruksjon) to the new (Designs), but I get the attached error message on most of the folders. I have also tried creating a new project file, which has the new workspace defined (Designs) and checking it into Vault - but that didn't have an effekt.

What's causing this? Old files that need to be migrated?

Message 5 of 7

After migrating from 2011 (or ealier) to 2012 (or newer) there is another step that needs to be ran on the files in the Vault called Update References. We do this to add additional information to the Vault that allows references to be updated later (on download). This information did not exist on data created before the 2012 release (including historical versions).

Just a note, it can take a long time to run this command, and you may want to run it on sub-sets of the data and not all data at once.

If you do not run this process in Vault Explorer it will cause these messages to appear durring move and rename operations.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 6 of 7

Thanks. I have run "Update References" on all the files in the Vault, but without any migration. Does the "Update References" work on older versions of the Inventor files, or do the files have to migrated to 2013 first?

Message 7 of 7

To answer myself, I first had to migrate all files in the Vault to 2013 format - then run "Update file references". Then the error message went away when trying to move the folders.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report