Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-Site Upgrade; Clarification Request

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
tbronzel
274 Views, 3 Replies

Multi-Site Upgrade; Clarification Request

When upgrading a multi-site using "in-place upgrade", which of these is the correct process;

•  Option A - Install Vault Server at all sites and then open ADMS console at Main site to perform migration (therefore, DB migration does not occur until all sites are running the same Vault server build)
  •  Option B - Install Vault Server at main site, open ADMS Console to perform migration and then upgrade vault server at remaining sites

My suspicion is Option A is the correct one given that readme's for SP's and hotfixes indicate you should not open ADMS Console to migrate until all sites are at the same product/patch.  Please confirm.

Thanks!

Tyler

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
paul.gunn
in reply to: tbronzel

Hi Tyler,

You are right - option A would be the recommended approach.

Paul

Message 3 of 4
tbronzel
in reply to: paul.gunn

Paul,

Is Option A also preferred when the upgrade is a "Connected Workgroup" in which both SQL and Filestore are replicated?

The confusion for me is that the documentation seems, correction IS, contradictory; according to the upgrade PDF, specifically page 15 (http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Vault/enu/Help/Help/0305-Vault_In305/0364-Upgrade_364) the process would be to COMPLETELY upgrade the Publisher (including opening ADMS to migrate) and only then move onto the subscriber but again, if I look to the service pack readme's they emphasize the point that you should never migrate unless all ADMS's have been updated!   Which one is it?

I still lean towards Option A because it just "seems" right that you wouldn't want to Open ADMS to migrate until all servers are at the same level but would appreciate confirmation.

My plan then would be;

1. Verify Publisher and Subscriber are online and no replication pending
  2. Publisher; Uninstall ADMS
  3. Publisher: Upgrade SQL (to comply with system requirements)
  4. Publisher: install New ADMS
  5. Publisher: install service packs and hotfixes
  6. Subscriber: repeat steps 2 through 6
  7. Now that Publisher and Subscriber are running exact same SQL, ADMS and Service packs and hotfixes, open ADMS Console at the Publisher to complete the migration.

Thank-you!

Message 4 of 4
paul.gunn
in reply to: tbronzel

Hi,

My suspicion is that the upgrade doc was speaking more to cases where there might be intermediary migrations (e.g. 2010 -> 2012 -> 2014). In that case it is mentioned in the doc that only the publisher would need 2012 installed.

The primay consideration in connected workgroups (which you reference) is making sure the replication environment is sound before upgrading. ie. all SQL servers are online and accessible, replication is in a steady state.

In general I see no problems with your plan. Only suggestions would be to always take a backup of the system before upgrading. And (if you have a test machine available) do a restore of a recent backup into the new ADMS version just to ensure ahead of time there will be no migration issues.

Paul

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report