Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map to Shared Server?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1027 Views, 5 Replies

Map to Shared Server?

What does the "Map To Shared Server" field do in the vault folder options? I can't find any documentation on it.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

The "Map To Shared Server" option allows the AutoCAD add-in to auto-detect library files (on Check In) based on the given server path. It allows the Inventor add-in to auto-map the Inventor library paths to a library folder in the Vault. This server mapping is stored at the server, so an admin can setup a mapped server and ALL clients on that server can take advantage of it. John Huber Autodesk Vault QA "TRambach" wrote in message news:28655158.1091550642146.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > What does the "Map To Shared Server" field do in the vault folder options? I can't find any documentation on it.
Message 3 of 6
mdellunto

Does anyone have any tips or tutorial on how to set it up.

We want to have all our library files in one centreal location to keep all our library files from becoming out of sync on each client machine.

From what my users believe the shared folder should update it self once a new file(s) is checked in. This will keep everyones library folder the exeact same.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 6
mikel_martin
in reply to: mdellunto

In my experience you would better off not having a shared location for your library.

It causes Inventor to run slower because you need to pull the bits of each library file over the wire every time you open the assembly.

This will also cause unnecessary network traffic. Where if the files are cached in the local workspace the bits are just pulled from disk on open.

You say that you want the libraries to be the same for everyone. If you just have the library file download to the local workspace, if one is updated in the server the next time you open an assembly using that component, from the Vault, it will automatically get refreshed. If the file is out of date when you go to use it you will see the red status icon.

If you are using Vault Workgroup or Pro, workspace sync is a useful tool for automating the refresh of the local workspace. You can even use the command prompt to write a script that will run it once a day.

Hope this helps.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 6
mdellunto

Mike,

Thanks for your advice. My engineer's would still like to move forward and try out the "Map to shared server" option just to see how it works for us.

I am not 100% on how to set it up. I have created a share drive on the server and then put the network path into the folder option where it says map to shared server on the vault. Should this automaticaly start adding files from the vault to the share drive our am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Message 6 of 6
mdellunto

I guess it is safe to say no one use's this method???? Would really love to hear how you set this up.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report