Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manage files in the local workspace from Vault

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
amartin.r
669 Views, 5 Replies

Manage files in the local workspace from Vault

Hi,

By the past I used Intralink (equivalent of Vault for Pro/Engineer).

Since I use Vault, I'm disturbed because Vault don't shows the files which are in the local workspace, and they haven't yet been archived in Vault.

What is the good solution to manage the files not yet archived for the first time ?

PS : Currently, I search in the local workspace the files which aren't "Read Only". But this methode is laborious.

Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mark.cloyed
in reply to: amartin.r

Which version of vault are you using?  In Vault Workgroup and Professional, there is a Workspace Sync tool available.  This utility is designed to help manage the local worspace files.  It displays those files that are not in the vault as 'Unmanaged'.  It is important to note that if a file is moved in the vault and there was a local workspace copy of the file in its original location, this file will now show as unmanaged, since the local copy does not have a corresponding copy in the similar folder structure within the vault.

I have seen some users that will remove the 'Managed' files, those that are copies of vaulted files, so that their workspace only contains files that are not in the vault.

Thanks,
Mark

Regards,
Mark Cloyed
IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 3 of 6

If you're looking for a method to do a bulk check-in of files that are in the local workspace, I have seen a person using the Check In Project tool (inside Inventor) to do the bulk load. I haven't used it myself so I don't know the pros & cons of it, nor can I find anything on the help wiki about it. So use at you're own risk.

Edit : my VAR supplied me a link to the help file.

check_in_project.png

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Message 4 of 6

Currently, I use Vault 2012 "Basic". I should be use Vault Workgroup 2015 soon.
I didn't know "Check In Project", I gonna see if this can help me.

In fact, Vault is very different of Intralink, and don't allow to filter the files which aren't yet archived files by (Design status, Project, etc.).
I must obligatory check in file in Vault, if I want to filter a search.

Message 5 of 6
rpeterson9DZ38
in reply to: amartin.r

I know this thread is a little old and there may be a newer one but I'll post here for now.

I agree that Autodesk needs to offer a way to manage files in your local workspaces.  For example, Intra-link uses something called workspace and you truly are able to manage all your files that are read-only or checked out by you. There is something called frames which actually retains save history whether it be from pro-e or edits in the workspace viewer.  Autodesk needs to catch up (as usual) and be a real competitor in the market!  Being able to do a "workspace sync" or a mass check via "project checkin" is not the same as managing your files in your local workspace.  If you have ever used Intra-link or Solidworks plug-in for windows explorer you will know what I am talking about.

ty

Message 6 of 6

I used to use intra-link as well and my opinion is solidworks and autodesk could both learn something from this product.

I loved using workspaces and frames in intra-link.  In my opinion was the best vault product out there.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report