Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macro to check out a drawing, initial/date, check back in

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
thomasjhotz
1031 Views, 3 Replies

Macro to check out a drawing, initial/date, check back in

I am relatively new to the Vault experience.  At my previous job, I became pretty savy at building macros for excel to automate processes and find certain bits of information within report spreadsheets.  Those macros allowed me to be extremely efficient and decisive with my work (less time doing, more time evaluating and making objective decisions).

At my new job, one of my responsibilities is to check drawings.  The process usually consists of the following:

1. Review the drawing via Vault's preview display.

2. If the drawing is fine, check-out the drawing.

3. Open the drawing via Inventor and choose the project file.

4. Open iProperties within Inventor, then initial/date the drawing within the status tab.

5. Save and check-in the drawing.

6. Close and repeat.

Not going to complain if this is the only way to do it, but if it possible to develop a macro to automate this process, please point me in the direction.  If the macro could by-pass all this steps and allow me to focus my attention on checking the drawings themselves rather than clicking through pop-ups, I would be extremely happy (as well as a few co-workers who have to do the same process).

Please let me know of better ways to approach this process, it would be much appreciated.

Thomas

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mikel_martin
in reply to: thomasjhotz

There are many ways this could be done with Vault depending on the which teir of the product you are using.

1. In Vault Basic you can create an iPropertie on the files and expose that property in Vault. You can then use the Vault command Edit Properties to edit the property without the need to open the files. You can then use the Update Visualization command to update the DWF.
  2. In Vault Workgroup (or Pro) you can create a user defined property and map it to the iProperty. This is the same as bullet one but the iProperty does not need to already exist on the files. You can use the Job Server to update the DWF.
  3. In Vault Workgroup (or Pro) you can create a lifecycle for the files with multipel states (WIP, Review, Released) and mapp that state name to an iProperty. Use Job Server to update DWF on Lifecycle state changes.
  4. In Vault Pro create an ECO and use that to manage the process. In conjuction with the steps in bullet 3.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 4
thomasjhotz
in reply to: mikel_martin

Mikel,

I see where you can "edit properties" and then can expose any property lines you want, but there is not one called "checked by"  with a date, which is essentially the one I would need.  How could I go about getting that property exposed in Vault for editing?

Thomas

Message 4 of 4
mikel_martin
in reply to: thomasjhotz

If no property exists in the Vault you need to go to the Administration dialog > File tab.

Create a property and add a mapping to the iproperty.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report