Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Library Files Not Read-Only

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
bmullins
336 Views, 3 Replies

Library Files Not Read-Only

Here's the situation:

We are just beginning to implement Vault Basic 2012 at our company (we'll soon be updating to 2013). We want to make certain files read-only, and other posts seemed to show that this would be able to be accomplished for our application by moving the files to a Library folder because Library folders are read-only.

Problem:

Our Library folders are not behaving as read-only folders.

What we did:

While logged in as the Administrator we moved a number of test files to a library folder using the Vault client application. From the Vault add-in for Inventor, we logged in as a user (Bmullins) with Document Editor 1 permissions. Bmullins was able to open a file from the Library, check it out, edit it, and check it back in using Inventor. Sure enough, the Administrator (in the Vault client application) saw that the Library file had been edited by Bmullins.

Can anyone explain what we're not understanding?

Thanks,

Blake

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
BLHDrafting
in reply to: bmullins

Vault Basic DOES NOT do that good of a job with Library files. While the intent is to restrict modifying these files you can check them out (from a Library or non Library project), alter them and check them in. Not the desired intent I know but Basic is just that - basic. There are also some known bugs in Inventor and/or Vault that dirty (touch) files (both Library and Project). We have been struggling with this since Inventor 2010 and next week will be unpgrading to Workgroup to once and for all make our Library files untouchable without going through the release states properly.

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 3 of 4
bmullins
in reply to: BLHDrafting

Thanks for the response Brendan. That's unfortunate.

I would love to hear what someone from Autodesk has to say in regards to this topic. I know we have Vault Basic, but really? Libraries are just normal folders in Basic?

Message 4 of 4
BLHDrafting
in reply to: bmullins

I'm no authority on Vaut (any flavour) but Basic just doesn't cut the bill IMO. Without strict user policies, workflows and permissions etc... it is just too easy to modify (either on purpose or by accident) files that should be locked down. I guess this is a sales point. Basic is basic, Workgroup introduces release states and lits of other stuff. Higher versions give more control and restrictions. Even my VAR is pissed off with Basic. He has not experienced some of the stuff I have come up with (not sure if that's good or not ?). I and the VAR and Autodesk are working together on these problems I have found. But I've had enough of continually arguing with the files. Workgroup will sort out my problems with locked down files, the workflow and my users for good. I'm saying goodbye to 2012 and upgrading Inventor and Vault to 2013. I expect the normal amount of arguing with Task Scheduler to migrate the files but in the end that gets worked out. I just really want the ability to lock down files against modification.

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report