Vault General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
jeff_jordan
Message 1 of 21 (602 Views)

Job Processor Performance

602 Views, 20 Replies
02-08-2012 07:53 AM

Is there a way to increase the performance of the job processor?  It's not utilizing the computer's resources well.  The processor, harddrive, memory and network look almost idle at times.  The job queue has about 15 parts and drawings that are getting property updates and new visualization files created.  And this is taking FOREVER!

What are the drawbacks to putting the job processor on the individual machines?  I thought I read somewhere that running job processors on user's machines causes Inventor or Vault functionality to be taken away.

As a side note: why can't you see the job queue in the job processor application???  The only way you can view the queue is through Vault.

Autodesk, if you respond, please do not respond with, "Users can log enhancement requests at the following url: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=​123112&id=1109794, Thank you."

Autodesk Product Design Suite 2012 (Inventor 2012 Pro SP1, Vault 2012 Pro Update 1)
Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Core i7
8GB
Nvidia Quadro FX 3800M
Employee
luttena
Message 2 of 21 (592 Views)

Re: Job Processor Performance

02-08-2012 08:17 AM in reply to: jeff_jordan

Hi Jeff,

Just to clarify, are you interested in decreasing the amount of time that the processor picks up jobs in the queue or are you saying that running the jobs has poor performance?

Thanks!

Adam

Adam Luttenbacher
Sr User Experience Designer
Autodesk, Inc.

jeff_jordan
Message 3 of 21 (591 Views)

02-08-2012 08:23 AM in reply to: luttena

Decrease the time to process jobs.

Autodesk Product Design Suite 2012 (Inventor 2012 Pro SP1, Vault 2012 Pro Update 1)
Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Core i7
8GB
Nvidia Quadro FX 3800M
Employee
luttena
Message 4 of 21 (589 Views)

02-08-2012 08:53 AM in reply to: jeff_jordan

Jeff,

The default time to check the queue is 10 minutes. You can modify this setting by editing the config file for the job processor. Look for the following text and change the value to your desired amount of minutes. For example, you can have it run every 2 minutes if you wanted.

<appSettings>
    <add key="PeriodInMinutes" value="10" />

Another quick method is to pause and restart the job processor.

Hope this helps you.

Adam

Adam Luttenbacher
Autodesk, Inc.

*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 5 of 21 (582 Views)

02-08-2012 09:35 AM in reply to: luttena

So,... are you saying that the job processor only runs for 10 minutes at a time, and then quits?  This would explain why I haven't been able to get it to KEEP running through the night.  Why only ten minutes?  I have a LOT of dwf's to generate (thousands).  10 minutes at a time won't do the trick.

ChrisB

ADSK_Expert_Elite_Icon_S_Color_Blk.png

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

http://cbennertipstricks.blogspot.com/

Employee
luttena
Message 6 of 21 (581 Views)

02-08-2012 09:39 AM in reply to: cbenner

Ok...there is a misunderstanding here. The processor kicks off every 10 minutes. It does NOT stop after 10 minutes. If you're concerned about how long it's taking to publish your dwf files that is a different issue that usually revolves around what kind of hardware you're using and what else that machine might be doing.

Adam

Adam Luttenbacher
Autodesk, Inc.

*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 7 of 21 (579 Views)

02-08-2012 09:42 AM in reply to: luttena

Ok, I get ya.  My concern is one that came up yesterday in a different post.  I set my machine's power settings to "never", and shut off screen saver so that nothing would interfere with the Job Processor, and it always stops working about 10 minutes after I walk away from the machine.  I don't know what is stopping it.  It gets about 3 files done, and just hangs.  Machine specs are in my signature,... is there a setting or switch I am missing?

ChrisB

ADSK_Expert_Elite_Icon_S_Color_Blk.png

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

http://cbennertipstricks.blogspot.com/

jeff_jordan
Message 8 of 21 (573 Views)

02-08-2012 10:15 AM in reply to: luttena

I'm not talking about setting the time between looking for new jobs.  Ours is already set to 1 minute (which in itself is annoying).

I'm talking about the time it takes to process one job, let alone 15 jobs.  It takes forever and when I look at the system resources, barely anything is being used.  I tried to change the processing priority to speed things up, but that didn't help either.  It's just plain slow.

Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Core i7
8GB
Nvidia Quadro FX 3800M
xdumont
Message 9 of 21 (563 Views)

02-08-2012 01:25 PM in reply to: jeff_jordan

The major problem of job processor : It start an Inventor process, it create DWFfor this file. It close Inventor process. And then next job... Why not processing 10 job in the same process by example?

jeff_jordan
Message 10 of 21 (559 Views)

02-08-2012 02:00 PM in reply to: xdumont

Yes, there are many issues with the job server.  It's design is not smart.  Here are some of my other issues with it...not all:

1. Ability to decrease job server check period to <1min.
  2. Increase job server performance by looking ahead in the job queue and processing files together that require Inventor or AutoCAD to be open, rather than opening and closing the application for each file.  The amount that builds up would be depending on the job server check period.
  3. Ability to visualize a history of the jobs processed by the Job Server.
  4. Ability to see the job queue from the job processor application.

I wish we could just do without the job server and create visualizations and update properties locally, however we are forced to use it in order to update the Vault Revision table automatically.

The job processor is an extremely immature solution.

But I digress...the issue I'm most concerned about is the time it takes to process files.  IT IS SLOW!!!!!!!!!!

Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Core i7
8GB
Nvidia Quadro FX 3800M

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
New button for Platinum & Gold Subscription customers
Gold & Platinum Subscription customers can alert Autodesk if they require assistance with their forum post

Manufacturing Community
The Manufacturing Community provides additional access to tips, tutorials, blogs and networking with peers.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community