Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Processor Performance

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
jeff_jordan
2454 Views, 20 Replies

Job Processor Performance

Is there a way to increase the performance of the job processor?  It's not utilizing the computer's resources well.  The processor, harddrive, memory and network look almost idle at times.  The job queue has about 15 parts and drawings that are getting property updates and new visualization files created.  And this is taking FOREVER!

What are the drawbacks to putting the job processor on the individual machines?  I thought I read somewhere that running job processors on user's machines causes Inventor or Vault functionality to be taken away.

As a side note: why can't you see the job queue in the job processor application???  The only way you can view the queue is through Vault.

Autodesk, if you respond, please do not respond with, "Users can log enhancement requests at the following url: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=​123112&id=1109794, Thank you."

Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2015 (Inventor 2015 Pro SP1, Vault 2015 Pro Update 1)
MacbookPro OSx 10.9, Boot Camp
Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Core i7 2.6 GHz
16GB
SSDs
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
luttena
in reply to: jeff_jordan

Hi Jeff,

Just to clarify, are you interested in decreasing the amount of time that the processor picks up jobs in the queue or are you saying that running the jobs has poor performance?

Thanks!

Adam

Adam Luttenbacher
Sr User Experience Designer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 21
jeff_jordan
in reply to: luttena

Decrease the time to process jobs.

Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2015 (Inventor 2015 Pro SP1, Vault 2015 Pro Update 1)
Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Core i7 2.6 GHz
16GB
SSDs
Message 4 of 21
luttena

Jeff,

The default time to check the queue is 10 minutes. You can modify this setting by editing the config file for the job processor. Look for the following text and change the value to your desired amount of minutes. For example, you can have it run every 2 minutes if you wanted.

<appSettings>
    <add key="PeriodInMinutes" value="10" />

Another quick method is to pause and restart the job processor.

Hope this helps you.

Adam

Adam Luttenbacher
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 21
cbenner

So,... are you saying that the job processor only runs for 10 minutes at a time, and then quits?  This would explain why I haven't been able to get it to KEEP running through the night.  Why only ten minutes?  I have a LOT of dwf's to generate (thousands).  10 minutes at a time won't do the trick.

Message 6 of 21
luttena
in reply to: cbenner

Ok...there is a misunderstanding here. The processor kicks off every 10 minutes. It does NOT stop after 10 minutes. If you're concerned about how long it's taking to publish your dwf files that is a different issue that usually revolves around what kind of hardware you're using and what else that machine might be doing.

Adam

Adam Luttenbacher
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 21
cbenner

Ok, I get ya.  My concern is one that came up yesterday in a different post.  I set my machine's power settings to "never", and shut off screen saver so that nothing would interfere with the Job Processor, and it always stops working about 10 minutes after I walk away from the machine.  I don't know what is stopping it.  It gets about 3 files done, and just hangs.  Machine specs are in my signature,... is there a setting or switch I am missing?

Message 8 of 21
jeff_jordan

I'm not talking about setting the time between looking for new jobs.  Ours is already set to 1 minute (which in itself is annoying).

I'm talking about the time it takes to process one job, let alone 15 jobs.  It takes forever and when I look at the system resources, barely anything is being used.  I tried to change the processing priority to speed things up, but that didn't help either.  It's just plain slow.

Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Core i7 2.6 GHz
16GB
SSDs
Message 9 of 21

The major problem of job processor : It start an Inventor process, it create DWFfor this file. It close Inventor process. And then next job... Why not processing 10 job in the same process by example?

Message 10 of 21

Yes, there are many issues with the job server.  It's design is not smart.  Here are some of my other issues with it...not all:

1. Ability to decrease job server check period to <1min.
  2. Increase job server performance by looking ahead in the job queue and processing files together that require Inventor or AutoCAD to be open, rather than opening and closing the application for each file.  The amount that builds up would be depending on the job server check period.
  3. Ability to visualize a history of the jobs processed by the Job Server.
  4. Ability to see the job queue from the job processor application.

I wish we could just do without the job server and create visualizations and update properties locally, however we are forced to use it in order to update the Vault Revision table automatically.

The job processor is an extremely immature solution.

But I digress...the issue I'm most concerned about is the time it takes to process files.  IT IS SLOW!!!!!!!!!!

Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Core i7 2.6 GHz
16GB
SSDs
Message 11 of 21
scottmoyse
in reply to: xavier_dumont2

@Anonymous wrote:

The major problem of job processor : It start an Inventor process, it create DWFfor this file. It close Inventor process. And then next job... Why not processing 10 job in the same process by example?

Exactly, right on the money, its entire architecture is inefficient. Like you say it should fire up the silent instance of Inventor then run all the jobs until they are done, instead of starting and stopping the process all the time.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 12 of 21
scottmoyse

jeff_jordan wrote: 
  1. Ability to decrease job server check period to <1min.

I don't want it to run that often, if its running on an active CAD machine.

@jeff_jordan wrote:

Ability to see the job queue from the job processor application.

This seems a minor concern to me, I generally have the Client open most of the time anyway.

@jeff_jordan wrote:

I wish we could just do without the job server and create visualizations and update properties locally, however we are forced to use it in order to update the Vault Revision table automatically.

Yeah it sucks that you are forced to use the Job Processor to update the Revision Table.

@jeff_jordan wrote:

The job processor is an extremely immature solution.

It definately is immature, albeit a great concept. I like the fact you can write custom tasks for it as well, but I haven't bothered since its so bloody slow.

Scott Moyse
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 13 of 21
scottmoyse

@jeff_jordan wrote:

What are the drawbacks to putting the job processor on the individual machines?  I thought I read somewhere that running job processors on user's machines causes Inventor or Vault functionality to be taken away

The draw backs are... well I'm told it can cause some odd vault errors. I kept on getting publish errors when updating the visualisation file. I was told by Autodesk that it was likely caused by the fact I had Inventor running while the job processor was running. So it couldn't set its own project file or access all the commands it needed.

As a result it was recommended as per the spec for the Job Processor, that the best practice is to have a dedicated workstation with a license of Inventor & AutoCAD so all it does is run jobs on the job server.... In other words spend $3000-4000 NZD on a workstation/PC then another $10,000 on a seat of PDS then the annual subs, just to run the Job Server. All because its a badly written bit of software. Oh and it will consume one of your Vault Licenses as well by doing that.

So, I carried on having it run on all of our workstations, most of the funny errors disappeared over time, either through better configuration or SP's & hotfixes. I personally wouldn't have the job processor set to check for jobs at less than 5-10min intervals, especially if i can set it up on multiple machines. If I know I just set a bucnh of work through a state transition which sends a job to the job server, then i will open the job processor and just Pause>Resume.

In short I don't believe and haven't recently experienced any issues or loss of functionality by having the Job Processor setup on multiple machines.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 14 of 21
jeff_jordan
in reply to: scottmoyse

Scott,

Thank you for the replys.  Your posts have always been helpful.

1) The reason I'd like it to check in <1min intervals is because I'm running a dedicated machine. 

2) The reason I'd like to be able to see the queue in the job processor application is because I'm running on a dedicated machine without the client running (for obvious reasons). 

3) The reason we are running a dedicated machine is because we can't risk visualization errors.  Error free viz files are important because we use the web client to publish released visualization files to other groups within our company that may use them.

4) If I had multiple machines running the processor, I agree 5-10 min check intervals is enough.  Heck, 5-10 min interval would be enough if the processor would process more than one task at a time.

The risks of running the job server on multiple machines (that are running Inventor and Vault) has been too great.  It's good to hear things are getting better for you.  Should we take the plunge???

I agree that the concept of the job server is a great idea, but it's poorly implemented.  The license issue is just plain customer abuse.  I can think of at least one way in which they can process an Inventor job without requiring a separate license.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Autodesk improves the job server.  This is ridiculous.

Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Core i7 2.6 GHz
16GB
SSDs
Message 15 of 21
scottmoyse

@jeff_jordan wrote:

3) The reason we are running a dedicated machine is because we can't risk visualization errors.  Error free viz files are important because we use the web client to publish released visualization files to other groups within our company that may use them.

The risks of running the job server on multiple machines (that are running Inventor and Vault) has been too great.  It's good to hear things are getting better for you.  Should we take the plunge???

The only errors we ever got were it not publishing them, there were no errors in the content if it was published. I don't see how that is possible, once the jobs run its the same on a local machine as it is on a dedicated job machine.

I think you should take the plunge, if it suits. I will never put in a dedicated machine on principle, and will moan long and hard for issues to be fixed by Autodesk if they arise.

Cheers for your comment about my posts 🙂 

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 16 of 21
scottmoyse

@jeff_jordan wrote:

The license issue is just plain customer abuse.

It most certainly is, worryingly there is no sign of it being rectified!

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 17 of 21

I ran into problems like this when I first started with the Job Processor.

We can now run all machines nightly or at lunch to publish our DWF files.

First, you have to run the Job Processor on a machine with a properly configured Vault and Inventor Installation.

You don't need a fancy graphics card or workstation to run the Job Processor.

Second, make sure Autodesk Design Review is set up and working properly.

Job Processor consumes a license of Vault and Inventor.

While the Job Processor is actively running on your workstation you cannot open up a session of Vault or Inventor on the same workstation.

Make sure that the DWF settings and options are setup in the Vault Explorer (Client)

The "job server" manages the whole process from the Vault Server.

It is important that you or your IT department doesn't have things going on in the background that hurts this process.

The queue can be viewed from a client machine "not currently running" the job processor.

I can remote into my workstation from home and observe the progress.

You can pause the processor, exit the application open a session of vault explorer to check the queue.

Always make sure you press the pause button before trying to make any changes.

Always make sure you use "task manager" to kill the sessions of inventor or vault if they become hung up.

You can choose to retry files that have failed or  make a list of the files that have failed and have the team deal with them individually.

The instructions from Autodesk are starting to get better, but not complete.

My Reseller/Partner help walk me through this on the phone.  It took an hour of his and my time, but well worth it!

Message 18 of 21
scottmoyse

We don't have issues with it running on active workstations while using inventor and vault explorer. All your suggestions are great, and to the letter. But we shouldn't have to pay for an unproductive seat of Inventor to be operating strictly to the letter. In addition we shouldn't have to use a license of vault for it either. For these reasons it's customer abuse, as stated above!

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 19 of 21
cmcconnell
in reply to: scottmoyse

I agree with the customer abuse statement - this is one of the main reasons we do not use it here. So, we also do not use DWFs, and the Vaulot Revision Table. 🙂

Mechanix Design Solutions inc.
Message 20 of 21
scottmoyse
in reply to: cmcconnell

Well that's a shame. So you use pdf's?

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report