Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Promote Previous REVISION to current?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
591 Views, 4 Replies

How To Promote Previous REVISION to current?

I cannot seem to figure out how to do something that should be very simple which is to promote a historical revision to be the current one.  Example; There are 2 released revisions of Widget.ipt ("A" & "B").  I want to create a new revision ("C") using "A" as the basis.  

I tried to do what would be the most logical procedure which is to open from vault revision A and do a change state (expecting that it would jump to Rev C which is the next unused one in the scheme); however, change state is not an option on a historical revision!  I tried some other procedures as well, including looking in the Vault client under the pulldowns but nothing worked.

Surely there must be a way to promote a historical revision to be current!

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mollons
in reply to: Anonymous

The workflow should be something like this:

1. Get Revision A local to your working folder

2. Check out Revision B but do not download the file(s) local

3. Check in the local Revision A as Revision C

There is probably some more steps in there to move the file to the work state and new rev, but the general steps should be those three.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!
Message 3 of 5
mollons
in reply to: mollons

Also you shoudl be able to select a revision on the history tab and select Revise.

This will allow you to create a new revision off the older revision you selected.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: mollons

Your second suggestion seems like the most viable but it doesn't work because I cannot use the Revise command on the Released/Locked file - In the Revise dialog it correctly shows what the next revision should be (jumping over already used revisions) but when clicking Ok, it fails with a permissions problem.

Message 5 of 5
mikel_martin
in reply to: Anonymous

Put the file in a Quick Change state before doing this operation.

The problem is that revise command does not change the state when you do this operation.

And you do not have write permissions in the released state (besides I dont think you want your new revision to be released yet).

Steps:

1. Change State to Quick Change

2. Revise from Historical Version

3. New Rev is created

4. Change State from Quick Change to WIP

Hope that helps.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report