Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guide for installing IIS on Windows Server 2012 for Vault Server 2014

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
tahdesign1
1237 Views, 4 Replies

Guide for installing IIS on Windows Server 2012 for Vault Server 2014

I am trying to follow the Advanced Configuration Guide for Vault Server 2014 in installing the necessary IIS components.

On page 12 of this document it illustrates what Roles should be selected in Fig 7. Then in Fig 8 on the same page the illustration says to verify your selections. These two Figures do not match. Fig 8 has more roles selected than are shown being selected in Fig 7 (see attached image).

Which is correct?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
samuel.seah
in reply to: tahdesign1

Hi,

Thanks for pointing this out. Please see the following images for the correct configuration. I'll get the team to update the guide.

IIS1.jpg

IIS2.jpg

IIS3.jpg

Regards,

Samuel

Message 3 of 5
tahdesign1
in reply to: samuel.seah

Thank you for clearing that up. I have saved the images to update my downloaded guide with.

I had already started building up this server before and was to the point of applying SPs to the new Vault install when things went bad.

We ended up reimaging the server and I am starting over. So I am trying to follow your guide very closely because it was this IIS component not being correct that seemed to have been the problem before.

If you don't mind I have a couple more questions that pertain to the instructions in this guide and there need and/or order.

1.  I notice that in your images under security you are selection Windows Authentication. I assume this is just for the IIS component and will not effect the actual Vault user login? We do not use the Windows passwords for the Vault users.
  2.  There is a section for installing AVS 2014 with other web apps using a different .NET version. Our server is a dedicated server soley for the Vault so I assume I can ignore this section?
  3. There is a section for Enabling Windows Authentication after Installing The Vault Server. Is this necessary if it was selected during the install of IIS?
  4. There is a section called Reconfigure IIS Worker Process and Application Pool. Can you explain this and is it necessary in my dedicated server environment?
  5. Final, can I assume that the order of these instructions within the guide are somewhat in the order you should proceed as you build the system. That being the case all the above items should be taken care of before installing SQL and then the Vault?

Thank you for your help

Message 4 of 5
samuel.seah
in reply to: tahdesign1

1. If Windows passwords are not being used to login into Vault, then you are good to leave the Windows Authentication component in the IIS installation unchecked.
  2. Yes, you can ignore this section. Since there are no other web applications on the system using the same application pool in conjunction with the Vault Server, there will not be any conflicts with the .NET framework versions.
  3. No, this section is not required if the Windows Authentication component was selected during the IIS installation prior to the installation of the Vault Server.
  4. This is required only if you want the Application Pool (Worker Process) for Vault to run using a different identity. By default, the Vault installer will create and use the AutodeskDMPool application pool and identity in Vault 2014. Unless there are any system security policies/restrictions with creation and usage of the AutodeskDMPool application pool, I would not recommend reconfiguring/changing it.
  5. The general workflow is to install IIS, full SQL Server with the AutodeskVault instance and then Vault. But do note that the IIS can be installed/configured automatically by the Vault installer if it detects missing in the system, so it may not be necessary that you have to install IIS manually in the first step.

Regards,

Samuel

Message 5 of 5
tahdesign1
in reply to: samuel.seah

Samuel,

Thank you so much for clearing all this up for me. I believe I will be installing the IIS manully first per the instructions because that is what failed on me the first try.

Thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report