Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get assy. Unknown error while updating file references

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Maxim-CADman77
1708 Views, 4 Replies

Get assy. Unknown error while updating file references

When execute Get (with dependants) on some Inventor assembly the process finishes with "Get/Checkout Errors" window that contains the list of files tilted "Unable to update file references".

Each file in the list has error "An unknown error was encountered while updating file references". 

When I get that same assy from under administrator account I get same window but error reasons are different (" Cannot fix reference. Path ... is not in project file workspace". "Inventor Aprentice failed to load. See log for more details")

For me it seems pretty strange. Even so ordinar user has access limitations the message seems meaningless for him.

Is it some sort of misleading message or if I just missed something?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
WillTanner
in reply to: Maxim-CADman77

Do you use more than one project file by chance?

Seems strange that it can´t find the file in the project file workspace. If your project file is in the Vault root this shouldn´t happen.

Also: did you get an error when perform udpate file references on the file?

Message 3 of 5

Yes.

There are two companies working with one Vault.

First company intensively develops some basic hardware and creates what
we call "contour models" (with links to full 3Dmodels suppressed) for
products. This company uses Inventor 2012.

Second company develops advanced equipment based on the "contour models"
of first company products. This second company uses Inventor 2013.

Of course each company uses it's own IPJ file (format of project file
forces them to).

Some other differences like access limitation is also
to consider>.

Seems like problem roots from second company users having no access to
first company's full models (remember the suppress links).

Vault seems to attempt accessing them.

But as for me it shouldn't fail to complete get operation because it
can't access what it doesn't in fact need.
Message 4 of 5

Just guessing based on the information you have provided...

It seems that two different issues could be occurring here.

1. You have a mixed environment of CAD data. When downloading and fixing references Vault is going to use the version of the application that is installed on that machine to fix the references. If some of the files are from a newer version of the application (Inventor in this case) then it will likely have issues. Inventor for example does not support older versions of the application writing to files created in newer versions.
  2. You have files that are being referenced from outside the "cone" of the project file currently being used. When a file is downloaded, any references to other files in the vault are repaired, if those referenced files have been moved or renamed. It does not matter if those components are suppressed or not. The references need to be repaired or the link would be destroyed if you edited the file (or it was modified by Inventor or Vault) and checked back in.

Autodesk highly recommends using a single project file when working with Vault to avoid issues such as these.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 5

It's impossible in our particular case.

Inventor 2012 can't use IPJ saved in Inventor 2013 and vicsa-versa.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report