Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get/Download from Vault to local harddisk really slow?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Laurent_91
745 Views, 3 Replies

Get/Download from Vault to local harddisk really slow?

There I am again. I'm in good hope one of you guys can help us, because our reseller/installer and our IT guy don't really help.

I think that there is still something wrong with our Vault or maybe with our server. When downloading a file/an assembly, I can go make some coffee and clean half of the building before it is done. In short, downloading times are way to long. When downloading an assembly of about 125 MB, it takes between 10 and 15 minutes to be completed, a full download to a harddisk where nothing of that project already stood. We are using it only in our own company network. All downloads are just LAN, no WLAN and the network is build as a gigabit network.

The server isn't really busy: Processorusage somewhere between 0 an 10%. Network usage is also small, only 5 computers, a printer and a server, so a gigabit network must be enough. No other people are using Vault, I have opened 1 client screen, 1 co-worker does the same and the other was downloading that assembly from the Vault. Does not seem to be a lot, does it?

When asking our reseller/installer, they say it is the hardware. It is the server which is delaying all the stuff because MS Exchange server is running and asking all the non used RAM. When starting to consume more RAM, it gets less but is still good. This, combinated with the 0-10% processor usage, makes me think that it isn't MS Exchange. So, they say that we have to ask our IT guy for a solution.

When asking our IT guy, he says that it is the software, that it is Vault itself what makes the trouble, because it is completely normal that MS Exchange consumes all RAM leftovers and gives some back when required. In his opinion, the problem is Vault and the reseller should be asked for a solution.

As you can understand, this makes us really tired and beside that, the advantages of using Vault are small.

We are running a server with SBS 2011, coupled to a 1 gigabit wired network with only 5 computers on it. Our server is secured with Kaspersky, but I can't imagine that anti virus software is the problem.

The Vault version we are using is 2014 Basic installed on 64 bit MS Windows 7 computers.

I really appreciate the help you guys are giving us.

Thanks in advance,

Laurent

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ryan
in reply to: Laurent_91

Vault should be on its own server.  Based on the size of your team, you would definately be fine with a "workstation-class" machine as your server, just make sure that it meets the system specs.  We have many customers running on workstation "servers".   To be clear, I'm not suggesting making one of your clients machines a server, I'm suggesting that you buy another desktop machine to make as your server.

That said, on your current server, I would suggest the following;

• Turn off your AntiVirus, if only for the test, and then if that solves it, turn it back on and put in exceptions.  Do this on both your client and server.  During transfer of files over HTTP from the client to server, you could have 100s of files going across for an Assembly.   I have personally seen two cases were A/V was the issue of absolutely terrible performance.
  • Setup and run an SQL Maintenance Plan.  See the Vault Wiki for the steps.  Again, personally seen where this has been the solution and I've heard of cases where it could take 45 minutes or more to transfer datasets which was resolved through this.

-Ryan

Ryan Small
National Team Leader, Data Management and Software Development
SolidCAD, a Cansel Company (an Autodesk Platinum Partner)
www.solidcad.ca
Message 3 of 4
Laurent_91
in reply to: ryan

Hi Ryan,

thanks for your respond. Kicking Vault and inventor out of the antivirus routines was the solution. Vault is still running on the standard server, without any problems since we changed the Antivirus options.

Thank you.

Laurent
Message 4 of 4
philippem
in reply to: Laurent_91

Hi Ryan,

I am having the same problem with our Kaspersky Anti-virus, but we could'nt find which option to disable.

Would you be able to send me information about what you did.

Thanks

Philippe

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report