Vault General Discussion

wouter_viavac
Message 1 of 5 (766 Views)
Accepted Solution

Exporting multi-level BOM to Excel

766 Views, 4 Replies
01-26-2012 07:08 AM

I would like to export a multi-level BOM from Vault Professional 2012 to Excel, preferably by means of an easy (and fool-proof) procedure. I found that copy/paste fuctionality works after selecting all items in the BOM. However, the structure of the subassemblies/parts gets lost when pasting into Excel.

With the dedicated "Export" fuction the multi-level structure gets lost as well in the *.xls file. Exporting to html appeared to be a solution, but then I discovered that e.g. descriptions and supplier numbers are cropped when they exceed a certain length.

I know the "Export Items" fuctionality where you can add a BOM level indicator to each item, like e.g. 1.3.6. This information would be useful in the Excel document, but I prefer a less elaborate and more WYSIWYG approach than the "Export Items" procedure provides. Besides, the "Export Items" fuction is limited to released items only and sometimes I need to export the BOM of work-in-progress items as well.

Any help to find an easy way to export a complete multi-level BOM is most appreciated!

wouter_viavac
Message 2 of 5 (711 Views)

Re: Exporting multi-level BOM to Excel

02-10-2012 02:40 AM in reply to: wouter_viavac

Little kick to the topic...

Employee
mollons
Message 3 of 5 (702 Views)

02-10-2012 08:15 AM in reply to: wouter_viavac

Unfortunately there is not a good solution beyond export as html. I have logged this with the development team and product design.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!
Contributor
robridings
Message 4 of 5 (388 Views)

01-11-2013 01:54 AM in reply to: mollons

Has there been any development on this topic?

Exporting a multi-level BOM which shows all associative drawings and attachments is something that would be very useful to me.

Inventor 2014 Pro SP1, Vault 2014 Pro SP1
Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Xeon 3.6GHz
32GB
Nvidia Quadro 4000
*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 5 of 5 (231 Views)

09-17-2013 08:16 AM in reply to: robridings

As of 2013 Vault Pro, this is still an issue.  I can get a much cleaner BOM exported form Inventor than from Item Master.  With a potential ERP link in our future, I was hoping to be able to export BOM's directly to our ERP system for the engineers, but the indented structure is just not there.

And I should add that the help files indicate that a BOM can be exported as a .csv file.... this is not actually an option when exporting.  Perhaps this may make a difference?

ChrisB

ADSK_Expert_Elite_Icon_S_Color_Blk.png

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

http://cbennertipstricks.blogspot.com/

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
New button for Platinum & Gold Subscription customers
Gold & Platinum Subscription customers can alert Autodesk if they require assistance with their forum post

Manufacturing Community
The Manufacturing Community provides additional access to tips, tutorials, blogs and networking with peers.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community