Vault General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
mthomas
Message 1 of 4 (413 Views)
Accepted Solution

Error 155 "Illegal Null Parameter" when attempting to assign items

413 Views, 3 Replies
11-08-2012 11:19 AM

I have one Inventor assembly that when the user attempted to assign items this morning (over 6-hours ago) Vault locked up and crashed. Now when we attempt to assign items we get a error 155 illegal null parameter and are unable to assign items.

I deleted the assembly and its parts from Vault and re-checked it in. Now when I attempt to assign items it attempts to use new numbers, not the desired numbers. When I attempt to use the correct numbers it says that the numbers are already in use although the items do not exist.

I attempted to use the Go To option within the Item Master to locate the items but it says that they do not exist. My thoughts are that Vault reserved the item numbers but was unable to create them before it crashed. What can we do to get these item numbers available so that I can assign the proper item numbers?

Mike Thomas

*Expert Elite*
mthomas
Message 2 of 4 (400 Views)

Re: Error 155 "Illegal Null Parameter" when attempting to assign items

11-09-2012 05:45 AM in reply to: mthomas

Our incremental backup ran last night and now we can assign these items

Mike Thomas

Mentor
steveh
Message 3 of 4 (240 Views)

08-06-2013 08:34 AM in reply to: mthomas

Mike...

Do you have any insight here on what causes this error? First time that I recall dealing with this error.

I did a saveas on the assembly in Inventor as a different number and it works. Didn't change a thing other than the file name.

Will wait to see if the db heals itself tonight and let's me do it tomorrow .....

Was just curious....

Inventor---Vault
Valued Contributor
tmoney2007
Message 4 of 4 (121 Views)

02-26-2014 08:33 AM in reply to: steveh
A bit late to the game, but what seems to cause it is that when you delete items, there are still historical versions. When certain cleanup operations get run, those old versions get purged.

My suggestions would be to remove the file attachments and reassigning rather than deleting the items. If you have "Auto-select first matching item" checked in the wizard, it will find the existing item and use it.
Announcements
New button for Platinum & Gold Subscription customers
Gold & Platinum Subscription customers can alert Autodesk if they require assistance with their forum post

Manufacturing Community
The Manufacturing Community provides additional access to tips, tutorials, blogs and networking with peers.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.