Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Sync Properties & Revise

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
CAD-One
899 Views, 4 Replies

Difference between Sync Properties & Revise

Hi,

I have seen videos about matching the vault revision column values and the file revision column (custom property in file).

I want to clarify few things.

Some one tell me if my statements below are correct.

1. Action -> Sync Properties  : Syncs ONLY selected files and not on other files

2. Action -> Sync Properties  : Write the vault vaules to files (Not file value to vault)

3. Revise button->File properties : Writes File values to valut (Not vault value to file)

C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
olearya
in reply to: CAD-One

Hey there,

When you talk about "custom property" in the file are you talking about the revision property in Inventor iproperties?  This is a little different to a custom property.  I assume you mean the iproperty.

Just to clarify, if you map the revision property from Vault to the Inventor iproperty this is created as a one way relationship, the Vault revision writes to the CAD file only, not vice versa. so:

1. Sync properies will update the mapped Vault properties in the CAD file selected

2. Sync properties only writes mapped Vault values to the CAD file 

3. Revising a file manually changes the Vault revision of the document which CAN then be updated in the CAD file

NOTE: You can when you first add a legacy CAD file update the Vault revision from the CAD iproperties using the revise command but from then on it will be controlled by Vault.  This is the last option in the revise dialog.

Typically you should only have to change the Vault revision once when you add legacy data (a file already at revision C for example).  

I hope this helps

Allan

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 5
JayMoolman
in reply to: olearya

Hi Allan,

I have 2 questions and hopefully you could assist me.:

1)If we accidentally revised a file upwards, what would be the best way to roll beck the revision. IEEE. Revision is sitting on C but should be A as drawing did not change.

2) Also using the sync properties bring up  dialog box that states which properties would be replaced cannot however unselect some of the properties as the CAD fie should be the original, bi-directional mapping for these properties as switched on. These are all custom properties.

Regards,

Jay

Message 4 of 5
olearya
in reply to: JayMoolman

Hi Jay,

Unfortunately we do not provide revision roll back on files, you cannot move backwards.  Your options are to reflect the accidental revisioning in the rev notes or remove the file from Vault and re-add at the correct revision which can be worrisome when we are dealing with file relationships.

The sync properties commands only job is to write back properties from Vault to the CAD file.  When you set up a property you can identify it as to/from vault or bi-directional, any properties which are flagged as being written from Vault to CAD and require a sync (aren't the same) will be updated by the command - if you do not want some properties written back this should be controlled in the property settings.  

Typically if you flag a property as bi-directional the CAD property will be added to Vault so will only need a sync when someone changes the property in Vault.

Hope this helps,

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: JayMoolman

If you want the ability to roll back the revision all you can do at this moment is go to the following link and support this feature request I made.  Why they don't allow it even at the admin level is beyond me, but it looks like it may be gaining some traction.  The more support for it though, the better chance we have of getting it implemented:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Vault-IdeaStation/Rollback-Revision-Increment/idi-p/3552636

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report