Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detail ID only visible one level down on Item BOM

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
586 Views, 2 Replies

Detail ID only visible one level down on Item BOM

Hey.

I mentioned this problem we are having in another thread but though i would create a new one for just this issue.

We are having problem with the values of Detail ID from Inventor structures only showing on one level down for Item BOMs. This problem is happening both in the client aswell in the API's for getting Item BOMs when writing custom extensions.

When looking at an Item BOM you can see the values for Detail ID for all items connected on the level directly below the Item you are standing on. All levels of Items below that level will show a blank value even though the value exists. (Attached image nr 1). You can see that the missing values exists in vault by doing a "Go to Item" on the parent of one of the items not showing the Detail ID (Attached image nr 2). So the problem is not missing values in vault, its about now showing it for the entire BOM.

This is causing performance issues in our custom extensions since we now have to pull the Item BOM for each level instead of making just ONE call to fetch the entire BOM with all values.

We are using Vault 2012 Professional, had the same problem in 2011.

Thanks,

Anders

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
schanenb
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello,

The Detail ID is set within the Inventor Assembly file. Open the Inventor .iam in question, go to the Bill of Material button on the Assembly Ribbon. Select the Structured tab in the Bill of Material editor, and right click. Look for view properties (I think - doing this from memory) and choose all levels and the appropriate delimiter. You'll need to check out the assembly file to do this, as it's technically a change to the file. Save and close, update the Item, and you should see all Detail ID's in the Item BOM.

Now, to ensure that this is set right for the future assemblies, edit your .iam template and make the change in the BOM editor following the steps above. Hope this helps.

-Brian Schanen

Brian Schanen
Technical Marketing Manager | PLM
Autodesk, Inc.
http://underthehood-autodesk.typepad.com/
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: schanenb

Hey Brian.

Thx for your quick reply to my question!

Tested your steps and you where correct, we can now see Detail ID for all levels down. Looks like we just didn't understand how Detail ID is intended to work.

But unfortunatly this doesn't solve our performance problems when using the API's to create our custom extensions. I will try and explain how WE would like it to behave in our case.

If i understand it correctly we can on the top assembly set Detail Id for ALL components in the complete structure. But we can also set Detail Id individually on each sub-assembly, which might give us different Detail Id values depending on which assembly we are looking at inside vault?

What we would like to be able to do in our custom code is with ONE call to Vault pull the Detail Id values for the complete structure, but not fetchning the values that are set on the top assembly. We want it to fetch the values that are set on each sub-assembly. As i stated before we currently have to make one call to vault for each assembly causing ALOT of traffic to the database.

So i guess what we would like is an addition to the API's that allows us to get this info in one call.

Hope you understand my explanation.

Best regards

Anders

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report