Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decals don't get to system DWFs (export to DWF is OK)

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Maxim-CADman77
512 Views, 9 Replies

Decals don't get to system DWFs (export to DWF is OK)

I'm struggling with Autodesk FOR YEARS regarding decals (texture images) that don't get to so-called system DWFs.

Autodesk calls this "known issue" ... years are passing ... but defect keep spoiling users life.

Till recently I believed it only occurs on complex Inventor documents like IDWs or IAMs but I've just reproduced it on IPT that represents PCB (FS-SE_SpecDet_PCB_59(1).ipt), the only significant differnce from "Graphic Card PCB.ipt" (file from standard Inventor samples pack ... \Models\Assemblies\Personal Computer\Graphics Card\) - decal images are embedded (not external files)*.

If I'm exporting IPT to DWF - decals are present.

I want to get some workaround that could be applied now or at least some clear timeline (plesae no dirty tricks like "there is a plan to fix it in one of next releases").

* If you don't know there another known isuue which make external image file dirty when you get it from vault.

Software used:

Vault Explorer Pro 2015 (or VE-Pro2014 SR1 SP1 CH1 -18.101.3.10)

Autodesk Inventor SP2 update 1 (for those not aware - in update 1 "Embeded images" are declared to be fixed while exporting IDWs to DWF/PDF - http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/downloads/caas/downloads/content/update-1-fo...

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Seems like it doesn't matter if decal image is embeded or not.

Anybody could easily reproduce the issue:

Open in inventor and Check in C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2014\Samples\Models\Assemblies\Personal Computer\Graphics Card\Graphic Card PCB.ipt (make sure "send to Job Queue" option is active) ...after a while whitness no decals in system DWF:

3DmodelWithDecal.png

NoDecalInSystemIPT-DWF.png

Hey guys from Autodesk don't you see some "minor" difference?

Do you belive customers are happy to rely on such uninformative visualisation?

Message 3 of 10

Hi,

Sorry to hear this issue. I just tried a simple part with decal in 2015 (Inventor and Vault). Whether it is embedded or linked I can see the DWF with Decals. I am going to try 2014. In the meantime can you please send me your part with decal to senthilDOTkumarATautodeskDOTcom ?

Decal_Embed.pngDecal_Link.png

Thanks.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help!
Message 4 of 10

Message 5 of 10

Thanks for sending the files. If I use the custom option in the publish settings I see the issue. If I use “complete” option then it works fine. So can you try that ?

DWF Option.pngwith complete option.png

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 10

If you are talking about Export to DWF from Inventor* (without any connection to Vault) then I tried it and I can't reproduce the issue (decals are present) in both variants.

Judging by your screenshots you've got wrong point.

You use visualisation option "create during check in" and thus your visualisation have nothing common with SYSTEM visualisation (your's are USER).

* As I wrote before I'm using Inventor 2014 SP2 update 1

Message 7 of 10

After trying "Export to DWF" with "Complete" option, try the Check-in. This should use the "complete" option for DWF generation during check-in.

I also tried with Inventor 2014 SP2 Update 1.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 10

No. Please I'm not interested in non-system visualisations (pay attention to those warnings that are visible in upper line of preview pane on your screenshots - those are unacceptable for us).

Our company has approved set of settings thus users are required to
initiate Create.DWF jobs in the queue.

Message 9 of 10

With Job Server, I see the issue. I will get this logged with the Development team and will keep you updated.

Thanks.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 10

I've just got another oficial answer:

As a hotfix for the current release would be too risky (=the danger to break other major functions in Inventor is too high) there are currently no plans to fix this in this release.

Autodesk was informed about the defect in October 2012 (Case#07692558) and still too afraid to fix it.

...seems like it is "too risky for Autodesk" to try develope some PDM...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report