Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy Design Inventor over AutoCAD.

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
216 Views, 1 Reply

Copy Design Inventor over AutoCAD.

We are currently in the process of converting many assemblies and parts from AutoCAD to Inventor.  At this point in time we have many of the old drawings checked into the vault and are converting them one assembly at a time.  Now that I have several assemblies of done I want to utalize the copy design feature to allow me to take what I have and create new parts for the next assembly in the family.  The issue is, I want the new drawing to be a new version of the existing drawing.  This way we have the historical information.  Is there a way to do this?  Using Inventor 2010 and AutoCAD Mechanical 2010. 

Thanks,

Nathaniel Haro

Western Trailers

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
r.smith1
in reply to: Anonymous

If I’m reviewing your question properly, you can do the following. 

Assuming you have used model space in the past to capture your titleblock and design data, you can use the DWG file from Autocad open it in Inventor, and (create a new sheet in if paperspace was previously used), create a view from the assembly you have just created. 

If you copy design the assembly file and its parts, you can then use the copied assembly, and open the next DWG file, in your sequence, in Inventor again and create a view of the copied file then check in the file to Vault. 

The above workflow is if you want the newly created assembly data to reflect the legacy created Autocad data. 

If you want to simply link them and not create new views in the old DWG, you can use the attach command and attach your IAM to the DWG in vault, but both methods are manual methods.  If you attach in Vault rather than create a new view in the DWG, then if you change the 3D file, the 2D file will not have updated views.

There may be other workflows that others may suggest that you may find helpful as well.

Ron Smith
New Product Introduction Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report