Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compare Local Folder with Vault?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
DanSingleton
2110 Views, 11 Replies

Compare Local Folder with Vault?

I couldn't find anything using the search functionality on this site so I'll just ask...

Is there a way to compare my local work folder to see what inventor files have not been added to the vault? e.g. new ipt/iam/dwg that I haven't added to the vault for some particular reason.

The reason I ask is because I'd like to clean up my local folder (by deleting it) but don't want to accidentally delete these un-vaulted files. Is there a good workflow for accomplishing this? Other than a manual folder by folder comparison?

Anyone have a best practices method of controlling how they manage the local folder? weekly deletion, check-in etc.
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
bhowe
in reply to: DanSingleton

I have been struggling with this myself. I have had a few suggestions, some with varying luck.
1-Check the local directory in IE and sort by "Attribute". Theoretically if an "A" is shown it is a writable file, if an "RA" it is read only, and thus checked into the vault already. This is not 100% for some reason. Not sure why.
2-Check out the entire folder from Vault. Then Check in entire folder from Vault, and delete local copy. Theoretically everything should get transferred over. This has varying luck also, there may be issues with children or migration, etc, that keep it from working 100%.
3-Also, try Autodesk Autoloader to add the entire directory into the vault. This ends up with errors on some of the files as well.

I wish there was a "delete local" button in vault. Seems simple enough. Then everything left would be files that are not checked in.
I'll let you know if I get anywhere I am trying "Autoloader" now, but it won't let me click the "delete local" box for some reason?

Bill
Thank You

Bill

Inventor 2011 Pro 64 bit
Windows XP Pro 64 bit
Dell Precision PWS390
Intel Core 2 CPU 6700 @2.66GHz
7.93 GHz Ram
ATI FireGL V7200
Message 3 of 12
mbuckmaxson

I can't believe this is still an issue 3 years later,I am a longtime Solidworks user, and Vault Administrator, and so am slightly biased, but the vault integration was lightyears ahead of Autodesk. and had easy visual indicators, as well as a flat file structure in your local drive. The Autodesk Vault is a nightmare.   PLEASE ALLOW ME TO SEE WHAT HASN"T BEEN CHECKED IN!

Message 4 of 12

I agree!

Vault Explorer not having any awareness of new local workspace files is a fairly big BLIND SPOT.

Joe

Message 5 of 12

Have you tried the "Workspace Sync" feature.  I believe the following lync should help you out:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Vault/enu/Help/Help/0005-General_5/0006-Essentia6/0010-Manage_t10/0013-...

In essence, it is a methodology that allows you to synchronize your workspace.

-Jim

James McMullen
Principal SQA Eng.
Message 6 of 12

I have played with the Workspace Sync.  The Idea of "Automatically" updating and REMOVING files from your local work area is scarry.  I can easily think of a few examples that would cause a user some pain and suffering.  

Caution must be taken every time you run the command.

A real time VISUAL status comparison of everything in your local work area with what is in the Vault would be great.   You get almost all of that with Vault explorer except for new files not submitted to the Vault.LocalWorkspace.PNG

Message 7 of 12

I have looked for the Workspace Sync command in the Vault browser, but I can not find it. I do find the help topic but that is all. Could it be that it is not part of Vault Basic program package? If that is the case I must say that it would be nice if it stood so in the help browser.

I am extreemly amaized that the information about which files that are not yet been checked in is left out from the Vault Browser.

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 12

Simply use the add files command on the folder in question.  In the file select dialog his ctrl A to select all the files in the folder.  Then select open. The add files dialog will appear with a list of all the files.  The files that are grey are in the vault.  Files that are black are not.  If you uncheck at the folder level.  You can browse the list a cherry pick the ones to add to the vault.

Message 9 of 12
ryan

Our "Workspace Inspector" utility will do this; https://www.solidcad.ca/vault-toolkit/workspaceinspector/

There is no cost to this utilty but requires you to be on Vault Pro 2016.

Ryan Small
National Team Leader, Data Management and Software Development
SolidCAD, a Cansel Company (an Autodesk Platinum Partner)
www.solidcad.ca
Message 10 of 12
dackley05
in reply to: ryan

@Ryan wrote:

Our "Workspace Inspector" utility will do this; https://www.solidcad.ca/vault-toolkit/workspaceinspector/

There is no cost to this utilty but requires you to be on Vault Pro 2016.

Ryan,

Does this work with Vault Workgroup 2017?

Message 11 of 12
boisebiker
in reply to: bhowe

Yes, there is a work around that I used for years.

1. Open Task Scheduler 2018, everyone with Inventor should have it. 
  2. Create Task, Check In to Vault, this will log you into Vault and open a dialog box.
  3. Choose the folder you want to check with the add buttons, this will be searching your workspace.
  4. Click on the "Immediately" radio button instead of setting up a time/frequency.
  5. Click OK
  6. A new box will come up and show all the files you have in that folder.  It will take a few minutes if the folder is large.  Scroll down through the files, any file that has a check next to it will be checked into Vault and indicates that you either have it checked out or it is not present in Vault.
  7. Repeat steps 3-6 for each folder you want to check.

Message 12 of 12
ryan
in reply to: dackley05

The 2016 version will.
Ryan Small
National Team Leader, Data Management and Software Development
SolidCAD, a Cansel Company (an Autodesk Platinum Partner)
www.solidcad.ca

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums