Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Command Line Workspace sync is broken in Vault Professional 2014

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
scottmoyse
664 Views, 5 Replies

Command Line Workspace sync is broken in Vault Professional 2014

Back in April 2013 I upgraded to Vault Professional 2014 from 2013, only to find that the command line version of Workspace sync had regressed to the point it doesn't work anymore. It continaully throws the following error:

Error: Not a valid settings file path!

I reported it to Product Support, they confirmed the issue [CaseNo:08607968] and submitted it to development. SP1 came & went, a number of hotfixes came & went. None of them addressed the issue of a pre-existing Vault command, which has been in existence for some time, not working anymore.

How many people use workspace sync? It's one of those tools which intially bends your mind, then once you get it, it's a really powerful admin tool. You can even use it, along with Windows Task Scheduler to distribute customisation updates to your workforce for all of your software with ease. Then once everything is complete, you can shutdown their PC's for the day to save power. Then in the morning, they all have the most up to date set of design files, as well as support files. That's a pretty big deal, we had put it to good use in my previous job..... until 2014 broke it.

Please can someone from Autodesk update me on when this will be fixed for Vault Professional 2014?

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JohnHuber
in reply to: scottmoyse

Hi Scott...

Hopefully very soon.  We have a solution for this and we're working on making the fix available with the next maintenance release.  Sorry this has taken so long.

John Huber
Engineering Escalation Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 6
cbenner

How many people use workspace sync? It's one of those tools which intially bends your mind, then once you get it, it's a really powerful admin tool.

Hi Scott,

I'm looking at it for the first time.  Querying local workspace has found over 120,000 files and is now stuck thinking about them.  Hoping that the system eventually gets to the next step.  I know I have files in my workspace that need to be added to the Vault, and probably thousands that could be deleted.  I'm hoping I can figure this tool out to save me having to look at each folder one at a time and do it all manually.

My own fault for accepting the CAD supervisor's job.  😄

Message 4 of 6
scottmoyse
in reply to: cbenner

That's a knarly number of files. Have you seen a warning message about the excessive number of files & that it could take a long time? If you haven't, Alt + Tab and look for it. The whole process just stops until you answer that & conveniently sometimes it hides itself behind other windows, as Vault message boxes so often do!!!

Anyhow, just in case you think otherwise, WS sync won't check in files. So you will have to figure out which ones should be checked in before you run it. It's mainly about syncing Vault 'controlled' files with the latest Version or Revision (Release Biased), then expiring old file & removing them from the workspace. I would prefer if it wasn't so brutal about deleting 'uncontrolled' files in the workspace to be honest, so as long as the end users understand that & you provide them with a folder where they can dump stuff they work on but for whatever reason aren't checking into Vault (Let's face it that shouldn't be happening!!!).

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 5 of 6
cbenner

I did get that message, less than halfway through the discovery process.  My problem will need to be approached form a different angle Ifear.  For years, the folks here checked files in and out and never deleted local copies.  Ever.  I've consolidated 2 network drives (and about 5 years worth) of various cad files into one network drive, and I'm working my way through checking in what isn't already there, comparing what is, and deleting local copies of the files that are securely Vaulted.  Should only take me until this time 2016!

Message 6 of 6
johannes.bauer
in reply to: cbenner

Hi all,

this is now fixed in 2014 SP2 resp. 2014 SR1 SP1 

Cheers,

HTH
Johannes Bauer

Customer Technical Successt

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report