Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking in AutoCAD .dwg files.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
abekkering
1131 Views, 8 Replies

Checking in AutoCAD .dwg files.

When we attempt to check in AutoCAD .dwg's through "Add files" or "drag-and-drop", Vault will not allow it and displays "You must add design files to the vault through the appropriate application to maintain correct relationship data."  Whether the .dwg's are in our project or any other location, this message displays.  Is there a way around this or do we need to open each .dwg file to check it in?  We have hundreds of these .dwg's to move to Vault.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
minkd
in reply to: abekkering

In Tools >> Administration >> Vault Settings, on the File tab there is an option to "Disable Check In of Design Files". When this is checked you cannot add or check-in CAD files via Vault Explorer. The reason why you shouldn't turn this off is because Vault will not know about the relationships between the files, and the vaulted files will not contain any BOM data. However, if you uncheck this box, you will be able to add them via Vault Explorer.

Have you looked at using Autoloader to load the files?

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 9
abekkering
in reply to: minkd

No - I have not looked at Autoloader to load the files.  This is entirely due to not knowing what Autoloader is.  Looks like I have some Autoloader research to do.  If these .dwg's were created many years ago - with no relationships to any Inventor files or BOM's - is there any issues I will be creating by unchecking the add design files box in Vault?  With this unchecked - does it also create issues if other users happen to check in Inventor files while I am adding all of these .dwg's? If I do go this route, I only plan on having that box unchecked while I am adding the .dwg's.  Just wondering if I should inform the other Vault users to not check in anything while I have it unchecked.

Thanks for the reply.  Looking forward to your response.

Message 4 of 9
minkd

The checkbox doesn't affect add-ins at all (it only affects Vault Explorer), so anyone checking in via an add-in will still have relationships and BOM (BOM data is necessary if you ever intend to upgrade to Vault Pro and want to have correct items).

However, while it is unchecked, any user will be able to check-in CAD data without relationships and BOM from Vault Explorer.

For these reasons it is recommended to load legacy data is the Autoloader.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 9
junyi_zhu

You may also try the check-in folder command in AutoCAD.

CheckInFolder.png

Junyi Zhu

Message 6 of 9
abekkering
in reply to: junyi_zhu

Thanks for the suggestion.  Will look into this option next time.  

Message 7 of 9
abekkering
in reply to: minkd

Thanks again for your help.
Message 8 of 9
Doug_DuPont
in reply to: junyi_zhu

I have a followup question that is related to this. I want to Drag and Drop a lot of reference files into Vault.

They can be dwg, tif, pfd for the most part. I want them to come in in the Base category so they will not have any state or lifecycle related to them. I can do this for all the files types but dwg. That comes in with the Engineering Category.

My other option would have them come in as released. Once I get the dwg files in I can change the Category to Base but it looks like they are still linked to my Engineering Lifecycle.

Is there a way around this.

Douglas DuPont
Inventor 2016 Pro, Vault 2016 Pro
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
Message 9 of 9
minkd
in reply to: Doug_DuPont

If the previous category applied a lifecycle, the file will still have that lifecycle. To remove the lifecycle, click the "Change State" action, press the "..." button next to the lifecycle definition pulldown and select "None".

To get around that you would need to modify the rules that select the category: Tools / Administration / Vault Settings, Behaviors tab, Edit and Manage Categories section, "Rules ..." button.  If there is a property that can distinguish your "reference file" DWGs from other kinds of DWGs, you could use it to assign a different category.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report