Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check-in...

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
BeKirra
259 Views, 3 Replies

Check-in...

Most of our users use laptop in our office.

Sometimes they forget to check-in files after the files modified then take their laptops and run away.

How to "force" them to check-in files before switching off the laptop, apart from education?

Thanks.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
brendan.henderson
in reply to: BeKirra

I would love for there to be a setting to stop users from doing this, but there isn't AFAIKF.  I used this app to get my team to see that files were checked in before finishing for the day. And I knew when they were to finish so I setup a few Saved Searches for Checked Out Files per user and reminded them before they started to shut down for the day. It took a few months of this before they all got aquainted to how and why thsi was needed.

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Message 3 of 4
BeKirra
in reply to: brendan.henderson

Thanks for your tip.

I think this depends on the company' situation.

From your link it looks likely the "checked out files list" in the "App" does not pop-up automatically.

So this may not be practical in our office because the users may popin for a few hours of the day then run away for a site visit.

I can't check what they have done every moment - even won't have a chance to say "See you & have a nice day" to them.

The other case may be that I won't know if the user created a new file without check in.

Our users frustrated using the vault.

BTW, the users have known a trick that the "check in" means that vault changes the property of the file in the working folder to "Read-only".

They simply untick the "Read-only" then modify the file if they want to. - Smart, eh? Smiley Mad

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 4 of 4
brendan.henderson
in reply to: BeKirra

You can't cover all those bases.

The add-in pops up a windo on the exit of Vault to remind the user that these files are checked out. It obviously requires the user to log out.

In the end this comes down to respect of the process and the people instilling the process. Files are checked in because of data security, data sharing and a host of other reasons. You need to get that ingrained in your users and get them to believe in the process and reasons why they must be maintained.

The new files that aren't checked in are a pain as you have no original copy if not saved. If they get saved and and the power goes off then they are recoverable. If they are not saved and the power goes off they are lost for ever. If they are saved and the HDD fails then they are lost for ever. This is the sort of stuff you need to discuss and instill in the users. 

Are you the CAD Manager? Do you have ultimate control and responsibility of this data? If yes then you must get them on board with your requirements. Maybe an office meeting that includes your direct boss to discuss the matter. But you need your direct boss to understand the requirements and help enforce them.

I created a Code of Conduct manual for my small team and laid out my requirements to them. 1 of these was the check in of files before leaving the office, be that for a quick site visit or at the end of the working day. It took a few weeks of me sporadically reminding them of this and the reasons why for them to come on board. I can't remember the last time I needed to have words with a user about not checking files in before leaving.

There are tools in Vault to un-reserve files that a user has checked out. Look and you will find. I've had to do this maybe 2 or 3 times for a critical project to be finalised. The new files that are created and not checked in are ultimately not your responsibility.

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report