Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check-in: rename failed for an unknown reason

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
sention
1779 Views, 4 Replies

Check-in: rename failed for an unknown reason

I upgraded from Vault Basic 2012 to Basic 2014. I noticed that visualization files were generating DWF instead of my desired DWFX. I make the appropriate changes in Vault settings.

Now, check-ins are creating DWFX as desired.

- However one IDW drawing had an associated DWF of the same name of course. (I know so because I turn on "hidden files" view)
- So I check it out, made a minor change, then check in.
- Vault gave me a warning during check-in. I'll get the exact screenshot tomorrow but it was something like this...

Unable to check-in [FILENAME.IDW.DWFX] to [VAULT folder of IDW] due to an error: "rename failed for an unknown reason"

I think Vault is confused because the DWF is checked out with the IDW out but it's trying to rename it as a DWFX during check-in?

Ideas?

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mikel_martin
in reply to: sention

The DWF file should not have been checked out when you checked out the IDW.

When you turned on hidden files the DWF would have been shown in the checkout dialog and you probably checked it out durring the checkout process without relaizing it.

Having the DWF file already checked out would be problem for the check-in process. Even more so because it is attempting to rename the DWF to DWFx for the new version.

Note: we do a rename in order to maintain a single line of history for the visualization file.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 5
sention
in reply to: mikel_martin

Thanks Mikel,

I expected the DWF to checkin as a new file. Maintaining history is logical.

This company didn't care about previous versions so I just admin deleted the attached/hidden DWF. Then the checkout/in created the correct DWF.

Message 4 of 5
lesmfunk
in reply to: sention

Thank-you sention for providing a solution.

We publish our dwf's to a separate server for shop personnel to view. I had no idea that Vault was secretly keeping a copy. I also don't know how the dwf's became checked out as I have never had the hidden files shown until now. And then now I needed to show them only to delete them.

Message 5 of 5
sention
in reply to: lesmfunk

lesmfunk,
Just to make it clear, if you delete the 'hidden' DWF or DWFx inside Vault then the 'Preview' tab inside the Vault will not work until the next 'check-in' or the 'Visualization' file is 'Updated'.

I hope this helped.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report