Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check in from vault explorer

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
tegstette
702 Views, 2 Replies

Check in from vault explorer

HiSmiley Happy

I am trying to update thousands of files in an effective way. I check out a few hundred files from Vault at once and update properties via an addin. So far so good...

But now I want to get them back in Vault in an effective way. The easiest way for me is to go to the Vault explorer and find all my checkout files, select all and check them back in directly from the Vault explorer. But if I do this I get a warning: "Files will be checked in but dependent relationships will be lost" - it says not "may be lost" but "it will be lost".

My question is: Will they really loose relationships? It is not new files, I have not moved them - only updated properties and want them back in vault in the same folders, etc... Can I ignore this message or must I use e.g. Task Scheduler? (first I will update all ipts, later all iams and finally idws)

Hope someone can give me quick answer on thisSmiley Happy

Best regards
TG

Autodesk Inventor/Vault Professional 2021
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mikel_martin
in reply to: tegstette

The relationships will not be recorded in Vault. Which is bad.

Without those relationships a couple of things will happen.

1. If you try to download/open the children files will not be downloaded/update automatically.

2. If you move or rename any dependencies or any folder within the entire hierarchy they reside in, then there are varying degrees of possibility that the relationships will be broken in the file when you try open something with dependencies.

I would highly recommend using task scheduler or something that knows how to handle references.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 3
tegstette
in reply to: mikel_martin

Hi, and thank you for your answer!

I found out that it was not so difficult to set up a task scheduler for the check in as you recommended. This is because all files am am working on (cleaning files) are the only files in my workspace...

Best regards
TG

Autodesk Inventor/Vault Professional 2021

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report