Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Orders and the web client, intent of operation

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
278 Views, 3 Replies

Change Orders and the web client, intent of operation

Hey all,

We recently implemented Vault 2014 pro and I'm looking into also implementing the change order feature of the Vault and I had a few questions.

We are looking to use the change order feature as an electronic/automated 'red line' process, and it seems that the change order feature is meant to be used in this fashion. However, my question is how do non-cad users access the change order feature of Vault? It is advertised that this feature IS available to non-cad users in a few videos from Autodesk that I watched. Ideally we would use the web client to allow non-cad users access to the change orders. However, it seems that you cannot even VIEW the change orders in the web client.

I'm trying to understand that Autodesk's intent is for the change order feature. Do we need to buy Vault pro licenses for EVERYBODY in the company simply to use the change order feature? If so that seems a bit outrageous...

So I'm going down a path right now possibly trying to create a folder on file server somewhere that Vault will populate with .DWF files that can be marked up. I'm trying to figure out a way to pull this back into Vault as a change order. Thinking about trying to write a custom Job Processor thing or maybe writing my own piece of code to sort that out.

So really it boils down to, how do I satisfy the process detailed below utilizing the CAD system;

non-cad user is able to open DWF of design file for viewing and review. non-cad user marks up the design and submits it back to 'the system' at which point the engineer or appropriate party is notified in Vault using the change order feature and can make the correction.

Has anyone attempted a similar system? If so, which Vault features are used to implement this process?

Thanks for reading

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
olearya
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi there,

I can confirm that at present users are required to have a thick client (Vault Explorer) to initiate, view or participate in the change order process.  We have had a number of requests to make CO creation more accessible and we are actively looking at how this can be achieved.

In terms of how companies address this today, there is no requirement for every user to have a Vault license - as Vault leverages concurrent licensing and the expectation is that users will not be spending a lot of time in Vault creating CO's, Vault explorer can be installed on their PC for this purpose and leverage email notification to alert users to activity.  A number of manufacturing departments will actually assign 1 user / lead to create all CO's based on markups coming from thin client users.

Hope this detail is useful while we work on a more inclusive solution.

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: olearya

Thank you for your response Olearya,

Not to derail this topic, but as progression to your response;

Could you please point me in the direction of setting up the email notifications?

Also, is it possible to set up a prioritization of licenses to ensure that CAD/Engineering personnel are given first priority when obtaining a license? (sort of like a QoS but for licenses, ensuring that CAD/engineering ALWAYS obtain a license, and other personnel may be denied access if licenses run out)

Message 4 of 4
olearya
in reply to: Anonymous

No problems, 

There is a section in help dealing with this:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/VAULT/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-383F15D8-B868-4D19-895F-59D1EB8AAF6A

Unfotunately as Vault licenses are managed by server it is not possible to pool or reserve licenses by groups. 

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report