Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practice for Replace Model Reference

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
bcrowell
327 Views, 4 Replies

Best Practice for Replace Model Reference

I am trying to help a coworker with some Vault issues and myself am just relearning Vault with a new implementation.

He had the original assembly, which already had a drawing done.  He used the original assembly, used Copy Design from within Vault, and made minimal changes, and renamed the new assembly (also within Vault).  When he tried to Copy Design for the original drawing and used Replace Model Reference, it still broke most all the dimensions like the models didn't match up.

What is the best way to reuse existing drawings through Vault?

INV Professional 2017 (Build: 142, Release: 2017RTM), Windows 10 Professional (64-bit), Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.5GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, Vault Basic 2017
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
cbenner
in reply to: bcrowell

In my experience, Replace Model Reference does often nuke dimensions, unless the parts are virtually identical.  Even then there are no guarentees.  Plus bear in mind that you will have to remove any Parts Lists and balloons, as they still reference the BOM of the old assembly.  It's not a perfect clean switch out, but it can get you closer than starting over.

It sounds like you did everything right, except I usually do my copy design from the top level drawing, not the assembly.  Copy Design on a drawing brings basically the entire design including any other drawings associated with the design.  For example, our systems are designed in 3 layers: Frame, Equipment and Full Assembly.  If I Copy Design the Full Assembly idw, everything including the Frame and Equipment idw's is included.  Saves you having to do 2 copy designs, and also would save you having to do a Replace Model.

Good luck!

Message 3 of 5
BLHDrafting
in reply to: bcrowell

Similar to the workflow mentioned by cbenner, I copy design the assy file and the documentation (IDW's) come along with it. This is controlled by the choice of "Include related documentation" in the Settings. See the picture.

I do it on the assy and then choose if I want the IDW's also as I am usually doing different trial configurations and just want the assy/part files. I can reconstruct the IDW later.

2 different workflows, similar results. 1 of the benefits of Vault!

Although not clearly stated I think the command "Replace Model Reference" is a drawing environment feature that is primarily designed to work with part files.

copy_design.png

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 4 of 5
cbenner
in reply to: BLHDrafting

@BLHDrafting wrote:

Although not clearly stated I think the command "Replace Model Reference" is a drawing environment feature that is primarily designed to work with part files. 

I think that's a fair statement.  We have used it with assemblies, but there's always a bit more cleanup that when using it with parts.

Message 5 of 5
bcrowell
in reply to: cbenner

We are just trying to use the Replace Component Reference in the drawing- I don't know that I knew you had the option in a part (?). 

The assemblies were virtually identical, which is why I was surpised to see so many dimensions lost- they normally stay when the assemblies are that similar.

Also, I have had a mixed bag of results with the BOM updating to the newly referenced part, but I haven't found a rhyme or reason as to why the BOM does or doesn't update correctly.

INV Professional 2017 (Build: 142, Release: 2017RTM), Windows 10 Professional (64-bit), Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.5GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, Vault Basic 2017

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report