Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM/Item master functionality missing in Vault?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
CNiemarkt
1650 Views, 7 Replies

BOM/Item master functionality missing in Vault?

Hello,

This is almost to silly to ask but I could not find it in the forum and the wiki site seems to be down or very slow.

We have Autodesk Vault pro 2013 installed and I am searching for the BOM functionality inside Vault.

I have seen on some videos (Vault manuf. 2010) that this is possible to do inside the Vault and I assume this is also possible in our pro version.

However when I select an Inventor file -> go to "where used" screen -> and do a "right click" I do not get an "Go to item" option. Also the folder "Item master" in the left view (tree) is not present. Is there somekind of checkbox that has to be selected?

I hope somebody can help here, thanks.

Christian

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mikel_martin
in reply to: CNiemarkt

Try this setting...

10-4-2013 11-10-49 AM.png

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 8
cbenner
in reply to: mikel_martin

In addition to what Mikel said, look in your image on the lower left for this:

arrows.JPG

Expand that and you should find a way to add the Item Master button to you list.  And the "Go to Item" in your context menu will show up when you are highlighting a file that has an Item assigned to it... in your screen shot it looked like none of those files had assigned Items.  Once in the Item Master you should see the BOM.

Message 4 of 8
CNiemarkt

Thank you both! Although I do not understand why this functionality was not activated by our reseller which helped with the implementation.

ChrisB if I may bother you with one other thing. You were right there were no items assigned. How can you see this and is this something you have to do separately? I am not familiar with the concept assigning items in the Vault. The representing file is an assembly with parts attached to it and with an partlist on the drawing (so with BOM). Or does assigning means that the BOM is generated inside the Vault?

Note: All the files we have in the Vault were imported into the Vault (existing IV data) and not created in the Vault. Does this have anything to do with this?

Thanks again

Christian

Message 5 of 8
cbenner

Since you have Pro, Item Master is there... you're just not seeing it because of the settings we mentioned above.  To assign an item, simply right click on the file and select Assign Item.  Assigning an item from a top level assembly will take with it everything under that assembly, parts and drawings.  Then in the Item Master, you will be able to see the BOM.

There is a lot more to it that just that, but that much will get you to where you cn see an Item and view a BOM.  how you set up the BOM with the fields that you need or want depends on how you have property mappings set up between Vault, the CAD program etc... much too much information to impart in this forum.  Did your reseller offer you any training before he left you alone?

I've been digging into Vault Pro for 3 1/2 years and STILL finding new things every day... learning the hard way by making a LOT of mistakes, and learning from them. 

Message 6 of 8
CNiemarkt
in reply to: cbenner

Sorry I did not mention that I had changed the setting in the meanwhile. The item master etc. is visible like you highlighted.

I understand now that you have to assign items first before "go to item" works (sounds logical). Did some quick tests but not with the expected result yet. I have a small assembly with idw attached, and with parts in it but I don't see the parts listed in the BOM. Will do some more testing to find out what goes wrong.

We are not left completly alone, but strangly enough this has not been explained although we have talked/asked for something similar. I will contact them next week about this.

Thanks for the help. Christian

Message 7 of 8
cbenner

I can help you through getting set up with some things, but I would be better at small chunks at a time.  Like a specific issue as opposed to the whole system.  There's still a lot I don't know, and this is just a difficult way to do even small training.  But I'm more than happy to share with you what I have figured out.

Message 8 of 8
CNiemarkt
in reply to: cbenner

Appreciated. We are still in the phase where we have support from our reseller, therefore I think I just ask them about this and see how to go from there.

Christian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report