Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Vault for 3ds max creating your own server

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
sykynko
476 Views, 3 Replies

Autodesk Vault for 3ds max creating your own server

Hello. I am new in using Vault and i want to ask an important question. Can I create my own server with Autodesk Vault ? I mean, using my own computer as a server...if yes, the server will be applied on one "static" IP address or "dynamic" IP address using several computers as the server, changing admistrator rights among e.g. two computers ?

One more thing, can Vault read data formats like exported fbx files, e.g. for Unity 3d or other engine softwares ?

thank a lot in advance

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
bpettus
in reply to: sykynko

We are using Vault 2013 with 3dsmax successfully. There are a few obstacles namely Windows Authentication login
does not work so you need to use a Vault login and in the event that you submit jobs to backburner, any x-refed max files will need to be inserted in the scene or present on the local vault folder of each render station prior to submittal.

Vault will accept any file type and will manage tracking on the texture maps, vray meshes and other children file formats. It is not comprehensive as of yet, but very effective for keeping files organized and I expect that as the integration evolves, it will become even more useful.

Message 3 of 4
papaf2
in reply to: bpettus

I'm trying to get info on using the Vault with 3ds Max and I'm having a lot of stumbling blocks. We're thinking about using the Vault at my work for international sharing, the problem is models are going to be copied and iterations are going be made. These models all have textures associated with them (Baked). The process now on the local machine is to create the model in it's own separate folder complete with baked textures and then an archive is created. If an iteration is made, the folder gets copied and renamed, the Max file gets it's change, new textures are created for the changed part and a new archive is created. The problem is if this is the process that is used for the structure in the Vault, will the Vault identify redundant part names and have issues? Does the Vault look across the board inside all of the folders to see duplicate file names? Would a central texture folder be a more viable option to eliminate file redundancy issues?

Message 4 of 4
bpettus
in reply to: sykynko

You have the ability to allow or disallow redundant filenames. For the very reason you have mentioned, we have set our Vault filestore to allow redundant filenames recognizing that the redundant files will always be located in separate folders and will reference the specific instance of the the max file. As well, we have established a "Library" folder containing frequently used textures that we anticipate changing very infrequently to reduce storage duplication.

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report