Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Vault Facebook Page

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
broepke
4229 Views, 24 Replies

Autodesk Vault Facebook Page

Hi All,

We recently started up a Facebook page where we've got some of the best contributing posts and tips related to Vault.  Brian Schanen, Rob Cohee, Steve Bedder, Loren Welch and more!  It should be yet another great place to find useful stuff.

Come over and Like the page!

http://www.facebook.com/autodeskvault

Brian Roepke
Director, Analytics & Insights
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
scottmoyse
in reply to: broepke

Facebook is blocked in most companies! its not a good place to put stuff for people to access during work hours....

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 3 of 25

I agree, Facebook is not considered as a tool at work. I like "Cracking the Vault", and think you should stick to that.

Autodesk already have too many channels/sources of information, so we never know where to go.

Message 4 of 25
DarrenP
in reply to: hans.martin.haga

agreed

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 25
broepke
in reply to: DarrenP

Don't worry all - Most of the stuff in FB is just a cross post of other materials like Brian Schanen's Blog, Cracking the Vault, the Dev Blog.  

Different people like their information in different ways.  Sometimes adding additional sources give new people an opportunity to learn as well.  If you don't want to use it - no worries.  We'll have the other outlets as well.

Brian Roepke
Message 6 of 25
scottmoyse

As long as that continues to be the case then thats fine and dandy.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 7 of 25
broepke
in reply to: scottmoyse

We will - duplication of data is typically bad but it's now the standard! Twitter, FB, Blogs, YouTube, Official Web Sites... It's the new norm! 

But it's also good - have it the way you like it best!

Brian Roepke
Message 8 of 25
scottmoyse

Sounds like you need labs to knock up an Autodesk Social media app. All your staff have to do is publish it to that app, then it takes care of publishing it to all the different outlets in the formats required.

Then you can make social networking 'Lean' again. I can see it now, 'Eliminating waste in Social Media is Alive in the labs'...

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 9 of 25
Samueljcoxii

Hey all, I am not new to the vault because we had used it my last place of employment for about 7 years but I am new to being the Cad Admin. and I need as much help as possible. We are using Inventor 2011 autocad 2011 and vault 2011, I also know that in April we will be going to 2013 which will be another adventure but for now I am trying to find any information on vault from a admin point of view.
Thanks
Sam Cox

Message 10 of 25
scottmoyse
in reply to: Samueljcoxii

http://underthehood-autodesk.typepad.com

http://crackingthevault.typepad.com

Read those blogs from beginning to end. I did and it stood me in good stead, just about everything you need is there. Then search this forum for stuff as well.

I also post stuff from time to time on www.designandmotion.net

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 11 of 25
sathersc23

I'd like to re-iterate Scott's point that social media, while "the new wave in communication" is very unbusiness friendly, especially in the more traditional prodict manufaturing sectors. Not all AutoDesk users are in hip architectural firms (though it sure seems this is the prevailing belief).

We already have company wide blanket policies against:

-Forums (I had to bend over backwards to get a special exemption for forums.autodesk.com)

-Social media (typepad blogs and Facebook are both blocked)

-Streaming content (No training from Youtube videos for us)

This makes it already diffucult to access information AutoDesk publishes, and I typically have to spend my own personal time to find the information I need, copy it, and send it back to myself at work.

Sam Sather
CAD Admin
Inventor 2014
Vault Pro 2014 SR: 1 SP: 1
Intel Xeon X5690 @ 3.47 GHz
48.0 GB Ram
Windows 7 x64
AMD FirePro V7900 - 8.830.5.6000

----------------------------

"We have not succeeded in answering all our problems. The answers we have found only serve to raise a whole set of new questions. In some ways we feel we are as confused as ever, but we believe we are confused on a higher level and about more important things." - Earl C. Kelley
Message 12 of 25
alh-telesis
in reply to: sathersc23

I completely agree with Scott and I will now parrot Sam ....

We already have company wide blanket policies against:

-Forums (I had to bend over backwards to get a special exemption for forums.autodesk.com)

-Social media (typepad blogs and Facebook are both blocked)

-Streaming content (No training from Youtube videos for us)

This makes it already difficult to access information AutoDesk publishes, and I typically have to spend my own personal time to find the information I need, copy it, and send it back to myself at work.

Message 13 of 25
cbenner
in reply to: alh-telesis

The FB page is just another tool available to us users.  Personally, I think the more tools we have the better.  Autodesk can't control what each individual company allows their employees to do,... so I think they're trying to cover the spectrum in the hopes of giving access to really good information to as many people, in as many different ways, as possible.

Thanks AD.

Message 14 of 25
alh-telesis
in reply to: cbenner

Agreed, Autodesk is trying to get the word out .... BUT I am concerned about a future lack of cross posting.

Examples include new information added to the forums but not Facebook, Facebook post links to good Autodesk resources that don't appear anywhere else, One site says yes to a question the other yes no.

In terms of drawing control, if someone releases the same drawing number in two different versions ... Will the real drawing please stand up.

I am a little annoyed that I only recently found about the wikihelp pages. If helpful stuff shows up on Facebook, I may never know.

Message 15 of 25
olearya
in reply to: alh-telesis

Hi There,

I am not sure exactly what concerns you have regarding the future of cross posting but I will try to address someof your points here and perhaps make clearer the role of our Facebook page as best I can.

Facebook itself is not really a great tool for delivering content, it is not well suited to traditional blogging on servicingthe bulk of professional users.  Facebook becomes a live communication tool with users who wish to seek it outand interact with the product team in a less formal environment - in many ways it takes the place of a newsletter orsimilar light weight community tool.  If you have another suggestion regards delivering updates and highlightingcontent we are certainly happy to listen.

In terms of some of the more specifics around content, I am going to assume that you are not using 2013 or perhapsnot even 2012 which would explain how you are unfamiliar with the wikiHelp.  wikiHelp as of Vault 2013 is the helpsystem.

Users seeking help in product are directed here - by default.  In fact most of the sources of content including blogs,support pages, appstore and youtube channel are all available from inside the product.  Most of these too areaccessible from the product page at autodesk.com including the mosaic project which pulls streams from all of ourcontent sources into one interface.

If you have some specific examples of inconsistencies in the information being presented or confusion I wouldencourage you to highlight this by providing details on the ideas exchange or using the feedback alias.

While this may not solve your immediate problem, I hope by understanding all the resources available to you, itbecomes easier to plan with your IT organization access to the resources that you require to do your job - while Iimagine that they are not likely to throw open the gates to Facebook please understand that most likely theinformation you need will be located on the Wiki or support pages, if you are interested in extra information including tips and tricks, these will be on one of the blogs that you can subscribe to.

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 16 of 25
scottmoyse
in reply to: olearya

Allan,

where can we download project Mosaic? I see its graduated from Labs, but i can't seem to find it on the autodesk website etc..

Cheers

SCott. 

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 17 of 25
olearya

No download - http://mosaic.autodesk.com/vault

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 18 of 25
scottmoyse

cheers. I remember looking at this before now. Good replacement for iGoogle, since most of that stuff is just Autodesk blogs anyway. 

I'm trying to see where I can add a stream relating to product hotfixes & updates etc. Is that possible?

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 19 of 25
olearya

The service pack site actually does have an RSS feed and you can create your own tab to add RSS feeds but I do not believe Mosaic is preconfigured to accept the service pack stream or custom RSS feeds. Stay tuned.

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 20 of 25
alh-telesis

Crossposting would be the same information on the Autodesk website that is available on FACEBOOK.

For example, I more than a little annoyed right now with the lack of cross posting.

I am interested in reviewing what Autodesk ForceEffect can do. BUT I CAN'T.

The link from the Autodesk Products Alphabetical listing redirects to FACEBOOK.

OK Fine, I'll take a look at Autodesk ForceEffectMotion. BUT I CAN'T.

The link from the Autodesk Products Alphabetical listing points directly to iTUNES.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?id=8909451&siteID=123112

Really? So I need to do what to get product information?

- Request brochures from my reseller?

- Schedule an appointment with my reseller?

- Start a Subscription Support Request?

Really? Why is this information not on the main website?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report