Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto generate Sequence

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
T_Averill
746 Views, 10 Replies

Auto generate Sequence

My Question is if I have enabled the default sequential numbering scheme to auto generate the file name in Workgroup 2013 it can skip numbers. If i create new and then save this generates a file number correctly but if i cancel the save instead of hitting ok and go through the sequence again it will generate the next number in line again instead of going to the previous unused number. Is this correct? This would lead to many unused numbers over a lifetime?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: T_Averill

There's no documentation on it but I believe the maximum 'range' is 9 numbers.

As for the unused numbers, I have several numbering schemes to split them up. I have the following :-

Bolted Connections

Frame Generator members

Custom placed Content Centre members

I don't use the auto-numbering for files I model.

Message 3 of 11
scottmoyse

@T_Averill wrote:

My Question is if I have enabled the default sequential numbering scheme to auto generate the file name in Workgroup 2013 it can skip numbers. If i create new and then save this generates a file number correctly but if i cancel the save instead of hitting ok and go through the sequence again it will generate the next number in line again instead of going to the previous unused number. Is this correct? This would lead to many unused numbers over a lifetime?

exactly. It sucks... there's no managed database for the numbers. I desperately want to use auto numbering, but we have a structured numbering system, at the deepest level of the numbering system there are only 999 numbers available. 000 is always our skeletal model, 001 to 899 are available for ipt's and 900 to 999 are available for assemblies.

There's no way to categorise this & there's no way to make sure the numbers aren't dropped. If I have 100 bodies (yes thats too many) in an ipt and I use make components, but at the last minute i realise somethings wrong and hit cancel. that's 100 of my available 899 gone, just like that.

Also the autonumbering UI for make components is diabolical. each component has to be configured individually for non auto generated fields.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

T_Averill, sorry for my post. I was on a totally different tangent. I was pointing out that the range of numbers was huge. 000000000 to 999999999. And that if you ever run out then you could add a scheme that has a 1st and 2nd range.

I did a quick search for 'sequential' at the Vault Idea Exchange (http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideas/v2/ideaexchangepage/blog-id/2) but could not find anything. I suggest you add a request to fix the auto-numbering scheme so that hitting Cancel doesn't bump the numbering.

Update :- at the Idea Exchange I got better resulst searching for "numbering scheme".

Message 5 of 11
T_Averill

Thanks for the replies, Im new to Inventor and Vault so i wasnt sure if i was doing something wrong or not.

Message 6 of 11
T_Averill

I see this still exists in 2015 version of Vault Workgroup. Anything on a fix for this?

Message 7 of 11
Neil_Cross

Nope, Autodesk don't see it as 'broken'.

It is rubbish, as Scott said there's no audit trail for numbers generated.  All you can do is try and adopt the mentality that it doesn't matter if a number is missing or there's a gap... basically because there's nothing you can do about it.

There's probably an IdeaStation post for this, but I doubt it'll get any attention any time soon Smiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 11

Yep, not broken but bloody annoying when trying to use filename structure.

I can't see it as any more difficult to implement, but just as fantastic, as the Inventor change of mouse down/click action instead of up/release. It just needs enough people to want it and for the Vault Developers to action it.

From my tests if Skip is used then the next number is not allocated so this could help reduce the gaps.

I added an IdeaStation entry here. Vote if you want this changed. Maybe in Vault 2017?

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Message 9 of 11

Yeah, the most annoying part for me is the export flat pattern. I do a lot of sheet metal and every time I export the flat pattern it pulls a number that dosent get used. Aside from the fact that it should be using the same number as the .ipt. I posted it in the idea station as well.
Message 10 of 11

Try the attached macro. It simply outputs the flat pattern into the same folder as the part using the File Name as the dxf name (eg filename is 12345, DXF is 12345.DXF).

You may need to tinker with the code if you're using 2014 or 2015 as there was a change in the VBA somewhere.

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Message 11 of 11

This might be useful to someone.  On my clients site here, I created a dummy numbering scheme which doesn't issue any numbers, and set it to default:

Select here.png

All the valid numbering schemes are underneath:

Schemes.png

It prevents someone from accidentally using a load of numbers by accident, and makes people think about what they're about to save.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report