Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Assign of Item category

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
tspeed
587 Views, 2 Replies

Auto Assign of Item category

Hi all,

I have created list of categories and its same for both file and item. Later, i have defined the set of rules to auto assign the files into particular file category. Auto assign will be happend while i am adding files into vault. To trigger this rule, i have checked in option (Apply rules on Object Creation). It works fine. Now, i have problem in auto assign of item category. As same before, i have defined the rules but i can't find the option ( Apply rules on Object creation). I used the rule as below

Category Name + is + Assigned File category.

But, it doesn't assign the item to particular item category. Its always assign to default item category. Please let me know what's problem ? I can't figure it out.

Regards,

Jagan

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mark.cloyed
in reply to: tspeed

I would love to have Autodesk weigh in on this topic, but I can risk the following thoughts.  It is my belief that when we assign an item and use a rule to set the category, the rule will not use or be based on a vault file property, only another item category, which means that the category can be read into an item property from a file property (at the file level), but is otherwise difficult to assign by the rules.  The vault's file properties are not listed in the property pulldown when setting the criteria.

Thanks,
Mark

Regards,
Mark Cloyed
IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 3 of 3
minkd
in reply to: mark.cloyed

The categories for files and items are different, even if they have the same display name.  So if you have a File category named "Foo" and an Item category named "Foo", they are actually different categories.  Therefore, it is not possible to have 1 category assignment rule that will work for both files and items. Instead you will need to have seperate category assign rules.

Furthermore, the properties on which you base your assignment rules for item categories must have a read mapping from a content source property in the file that is being promoted to an item.  I'm not entirely clear on the reason for this limitation, but I believe it has to do with the fact that the vault item is not generated from the file object in vault, but from the BOM that the CAD add-in provided during AddFile/Checkin of that file.  The BOM may contain multiple components which can be promoted into items. During the promotion of each component to an item, we use the read mappings to get the property values of that component, and then we feed those properties to the rules engine to determine the category. This allows the items promoted from Inventor virtual components to have a different category from the item promoted from the assembly's root component, even though they all reside in the same file. For example, all of the out-of-the-box item category assignment rules are based on the "Type" property, and the "Type" property has read mappings from the "Component Type" property in AutoCAD/Mechanical and Inventor, and from the "Electrical Type" property in AutoCAD/Electrical.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report