Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding new sheets to a DWG with SSM and Vault

33 REPLIES 33
Message 1 of 34
PaulMunford
1419 Views, 33 Replies

Adding new sheets to a DWG with SSM and Vault

Does anyone have experience with the AutoCAD Sheet Set manager and Vault?

What is the recommended workflow to add a new sheet to a DWG file?

I've set up our AutoCAD projects using the SSM as usual. I've checked them into Vault and so far the workflow is working well.

the Issue I'm having is when we want to add a new sheet to a drawing file.

In the SSM this is a bit of a kludge already. We usually copy a sheet within the DWG and then use 'Import layout as sheet' to get the new sheet into the SSM. We can then re-name the sheet using the SSM's rename tool.

This works with Vault, but when you come to check the file back in Vault won't bring the new sheets in  - claiming it has an 'Xref error'.

The only workflow that seems to work is deleting the sheets that are in the DWG from the SSM first, then adding in the new sheet, then importing the whole lot back in to the SSM before re-naming and checking back into Vault.

This doesn't always work, and it's frustrating not knowing why.

Has anyone used the SSM with Vault? Did you come across this problem?

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34
scottmoyse
in reply to: PaulMunford

I'm just wondering why you are using the SSM with Vault?

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 3 of 34
r.smith1

Paul,

Please log into your subscription center and log a support request.  We will work with you to understand the issue better.  

Ron Smith
New Product Introduction Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 34
scottmoyse
in reply to: r.smith1

@r.smith1 wrote:

Paul,

Please log into your subscription center and log a support request.  We will work with you to understand the issue better.  

This should auto escalate to a support case, unless Paul's account isn't associated with a subscription? None of my beeswax really. 

But I would be interested in hearing about the resolution here once it's complete. I've not come across a reason to use sheet sets yet, when Vault WG/Pro have the batch plot tool.

Scott Moyse
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 5 of 34
PaulMunford
in reply to: scottmoyse

Hi Scott,

We are operating in a joint AutoCAD/Inventor environment (AutoCAD drawings will be multi-sheet). We use sheet sets to plan our drawing set for the project. We create all our sheet layouts ahead of time. This allows us to make sure that drawing numbers are coordinated, and helps us to track progress of drawings as they are completed.

This is also really helpful for the other people in our office who use our drawings. They only need to navigate to the Sheet Set File, then they can browse the whole project without having to know which DWG files the sheets are in.This is still a limit in Vault, as it is in Windows explorer.

We use AutoCAD DWG's for creating Inventor drawings as well - there is no project wide browser for  Inventor like the SSM. Batch plotting from SSM is another useful tool. I haven't tried batch plotting from Vault (Maybe you should do a tutorial on that!)

Paul

Message 6 of 34
scottmoyse

@PaulMunford wrote:

I haven't tried batch plotting from Vault (Maybe you should do a tutorial on that!)

Hmm... possibly. Brendan Henderson has got a number of posts about Vault Plotting 

http://brendansinventorblog.blogspot.co.nz/2014/04/a-quirk-in-vault-plot-command.html

http://www.blh.com.au/#/blog/4572268941/tags/Vault

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 7 of 34
scottmoyse

@PaulMunford wrote:

Hi Scott,

We are operating in a joint AutoCAD/Inventor environment (AutoCAD drawings will be multi-sheet). We use sheet sets to plan our drawing set for the project. We create all our sheet layouts ahead of time. This allows us to make sure that drawing numbers are coordinated, and helps us to track progress of drawings as they are completed.

This is also really helpful for the other people in our office who use our drawings. They only need to navigate to the Sheet Set File, then they can browse the whole project without having to know which DWG files the sheets are in.This is still a limit in Vault, as it is in Windows explorer.

We use AutoCAD DWG's for creating Inventor drawings as well - there is no project wide browser for  Inventor like the SSM.

Paul

Thanks for the info interesting approach... I think I would rather turn on the Content Indexing Service, make sure I have plenty of title block props mapped, then use the power of indexed search in the Vault Client and with Pro or Vault Office... the Thin Client.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 8 of 34
PaulMunford
in reply to: r.smith1

Hi Ron,

I've raised a case - 09867858

Cheers

Message 9 of 34
PaulMunford

Scott,

We create multisheet drawings with both AutoCAD and Inventor. Each DWG file contains many layouts. Can you give an example of how Content indexing would allow us to find a particular sheet within a particular DWG?

Message 10 of 34
PaulMunford

Here's some additional observations.

1. You don't seem to be able to add sheets to an existing DWG file and check them in, Vault and the SSM seem to think that this is a problem with files being called the same thing.
  2. Right clicking on a sheet in the SSM and selecting 'remove sheet' doesn't remove the DSH file in Vault.
  3. Even if you force delete the DSH file, the DSU file remembers his long lost buddy and won't let you replace him!
  4. You can import the layouts into the SSM if you import them under a different subset - and them move them into the subset that you want.

Message 11 of 34
PaulMunford

OK, I think I've identified the Issue - and a workaround.

The Vault doesn't seem to like subsets in the Sheet Set Manager, the process below works.

1. Move the sheet out of the subset to the main node.
  2. Open the DWG and check it out.
  3. Add additional layouts (CTRL+Drag to copy them quickly) and save.
  4. Select the layouts, right click and choose 'Import layout as sheet'.
  5. The layouts will be added to the SSM and Vaulted.
  6. Rename & Renumber sheets
  7. Move the sheets from the main node of the SSM back to the subset.
  8. Save, check in and close the DWG file.

Phew!

Message 12 of 34
scottmoyse

For the benefit of others... and it won't fix this problem, but there is an AU class covering AutoCAD Sheet Set Manager and Vault integration you can watch. http://au.autodesk.com/au-online/classes-on-demand/class-catalog/2011/autocad/vault-integration-for-...

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 13 of 34
PaulMunford

Thanks Scott,

I did find Anil's class, I've read through the handout but I haven't had the time to watch the whole recording.

I waiting to hear back from Autodesk support to find out weather the issue i'm getting with Subsets is a bug, or if it's something I'm doing wrong.

In the meantime I'v reached out to Anil to see if he can contribute any wisdom.

I'll post back here if I find out anything new.

Paul

Message 14 of 34
scottmoyse

@PaulMunford wrote:

I waiting to hear back from Autodesk support to find out weather the issue i'm getting with Subsets is a bug, or if it's something I'm doing wrong.

The class refers to Subsets being supported. So I would be surprised if this wasn't a bug.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 15 of 34
mikel_martin

Just a guess.

The sheet set manager creates a "sheet file" in Vault for each sheet.

Is your Vault setup to restrict duplicate file names?

If so, if your sheets have the same names in the sub-sets it could be causing a problem.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 16 of 34
achintam

Hi Paul,

As long as you are logged into Vault and you are working with a sheet set that's managed by Vault, you should be able to import layouts as sheets from the current drawing into a selected subset (select the subset and then select the command Import Layout as Sheet) and Vault should automatically create a sheet file for the new sheet and add it under the right subset folder in Vault. I would like to see a video of your workflow if it's possible for you record one.

Also, about the delete workflow, we do not delete the DSH file in Vault when the corresponding sheet is removed from the sheet set, this is mainly because, the user who removed the sheet from the sheet set in AutoCAD may not have the permission to delete files in Vault. So, we keep the DSH file as it is but delete its relationship with the parent DSU (subset) file.

And I do not quite understand the comment on DSU file remembering a deleted DSH file and not allowing it to be replaced, can you please elaborate? In general, you should be able to delete DSH file from Vault after the corresponding sheet has been removed from the sheet set. And then you should be able to create another sheet with the same name under the same subset.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Message 17 of 34
PaulMunford
in reply to: achintam

Hi Anil,

Thanks for answering my call!

I'm sorry I haven't got back to you sooner - I've been on holiday. 

Here's a link to a video on YouTube, I hope that it shows the workflow I'd like to use and the issues I've been having. 

http://youtu.be/x9EOafwvifE

Thanks again,

Paul

Message 18 of 34
achintam

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the video. You shouldn't have to use the workaround that you are using in the video. I have noticed that you are not selecting a subset before using the command, Import Layout as Sheet. Please select and highlight the target subset and then invoke the command and see if that fixes your issue.

Thanks

Anil Chintamaneni

Message 19 of 34
PaulMunford
in reply to: achintam

Hi Anil,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Instead of selecting a subset to import my drawings into, I've been selecting the sheet that I'd like my new sheet to appear after. This workflow works in SSM outside Vault.

I just tried your suggestions of selectiong the subset that I wanted the sheet to be imported into, and it didn't work (same issue).

I did notice that the sheet that I brought into the subset couldn't be re-named - as usual. However, I dragged it (And it's fellow sheets from the same DWG) up to the root of the SSM and it let me re-name it without having to re-import the sheet.

So the trouble is definately with importing sheets from an existing drawing file into a subset of the SSM.

Do you experience this issue when you try it at your end?

Paul.

Message 20 of 34
achintam

Hi Paul,

I cannot reproduce your issue even if I select a sheet and then invoke the command Import Layout as Sheet. The layout gets imported under the selected sheet. Are you seeing this behavior with a particular sheet set or with a particular drawing or is it something that you are noticing with every sheet set that's managed in Vault?

Regards

Anil Chintamaneni

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report