Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 - Can't check in part because it has the same name as historical file

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
karthur1
934 Views, 11 Replies

2015 - Can't check in part because it has the same name as historical file

This is a weird one  The problem is that one of my parts that is vault has been renamed.  Now, a different part needs to have the same name as the old name of the other part.  I did a save-copy-as-and-replace in Inventor. Now in the Inventor Vault browser, it shows the red circle arrows like its out of date.  

Of course, I can't check in an out-of-date file.  If I refresh it in Inventor, then it goes back to the most recent filename.

The only way around this that I know of is to do a vault "Copy Design", then bring this into inventor.

Is there a workflow that will allow us to do this from inside Inventor like we used to do before 2015?

Thanks,

Kirk

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
scottmoyse
in reply to: karthur1

You shouldn't have to do this... but possibly it was a workflow issue on your part (outside of the intended use case). go and look for the v file in the _V folder which corresponds to the problem filename. delete it and see what happens. Normally deleting this, will force the download of the latest file from vault, since the Vault Status will be in an unknown state. See this list. However, in this case, it won't be able to download the latest version of that file, since that filename won't exist in vault anymore. It should then make the status icon change to 'Not In Vault' in the Inventor Vault Browser.

I'm guessing that Vault was expecting to do the replace, but you did it for it. So you possibly need to refresh things from Vault and clean up your workspace prior to doing the save copy as replace... Vault will want to replace the file in your assembly with the new filename before you do. Once that is done, you can save copy as replace with the new (old) filename.

Clear as mud?

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 3 of 12
karthur1

This should not be a workflow issue.  I have used this workflow for the past several years and never had a minute of trouble.  Now, however, that's NOT the case.

Just say that I have this part named PART100.ipt and I check it into vault.  After several revisions, I am happy with everything and decide to make this part of my design, so I go into vault and rename this to 123456.ipt  All is good here.

Now later on, working on a totally different design, but in the same working folder,I create another part.  I name this part PART100.ipt and I want to check this into vault.  The first thing I notice is that the Inventor Vault browser shows this as "Out of Date".  How can that be?  This is not a current part number in my vault database.

2014-07-14_0934.png

When I right click and refresh the file, it then shows the 123456.ipt.  Watch this video.

What I think is happening, is that Vault "thinks" that the second time I make a "PART100.ipt" file, it is not a new file, but rather, the old version of the 123456.ipt.  This is bad.

If you EVER, create a part and rename it, you will NEVER be able to use any of the previous names that this part uses. Because it seems that vault is now keeping track of the previous name that the existing file consumes in the folder.

Message 4 of 12
scottmoyse

It's DEFINITELY a bug. The Refresh File command should be removing 100.ipt.v from the V_ folder once the Refresh has been completed. For some reason the close and delete working copies isn't working correctly either.

Scott Moyse
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 5 of 12
Senthil_Kumar
in reply to: scottmoyse

Scott and Kirk,

Thanks for posting the issue and providing the information with videos.

I would like you to try this since this way it worked for me. Could you please try to delete the _v folder (hidden folder- you need to enable it) and try the same procedure? Does it work for you?

In the meantime i will get this logged.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help!
Message 6 of 12
karthur1

Scott,

Thanks for the video.  I noticed that in your video, even at the 0:41 mark that option is disabled.   I am not seeing the issue with the "Close and Delete working copies" issue. 

If I use the "Close and delete working copy" option when I check in the file, the file is deleted from the _V folder.  I "normally" keep hidden folders and files hidden.But, if I do not use that option (which I nomally dont), the the file is not deleted from the _V folder.

Senthil,

When I delete the hidden _V folder, it solves my issues. I can then use the original part name (PART100.ipt) in my example.  I can also check it into vault without any issues.

Thanks,

Kirk

Message 7 of 12
Senthil_Kumar

Kirk,

Thanks for the confirmation. As I mentioned earlier I am getting this logged with our Development team.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 12
scottmoyse

Deleting the entire V_ folder isn't acceptable in a number of scenarios with respect to download rules... Unless checked out file status isn't handled as part of the V files? I haven't checked the effects yet so I thought I would ask all the same.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
Senthil_Kumar

Scott,

I completely agree that deleting the _v folder is not a solution.

Also please note that deleting the _v folder will show "Unknown status" for Vault. That's the only effect we see. However once you refresh the Vault browser .v files will be created again along with _v folder. That should bring everything back to normal.

As I mentioned this issue is highlighted to Development team.

Hope this helps.

Thanks .

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 12
scottmoyse
in reply to: Senthil_Kumar

@senthil-Autodesk wrote:

However once you refresh the Vault browser .v files will be created again along with _v folder. That should bring everything back to normal.

That is good to know... so that will mitigate any undesirable download behaviour. Thanks.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
gandhey

Hello,

We have logged this issue as a defect for 2015 release and now will be looked into.

Regards,

Yogeshwar Gandhe

(Vault Team)

Message 12 of 12

If you delete the entire _v folder, Vault may be able to recover.

However, if any of the files have been modified for any reason, including references fix ups on download, you may get unexpeted results.

If you need to delete the v file for any reason I would be selective. If you go into the _V folder you will see a v file with the same name as the files in the parent folder. You can just delete the one v file without much issue.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report