Community
Vault Customization
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault API, Data Standard, and VBA topics related to programming, creating add-ins, or working with the Vault API.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault API for "Go To Folder"

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
gary.belisle
1424 Views, 3 Replies

Vault API for "Go To Folder"

As CAD Admin, one of the biggest complaints I get is having to browse in Vault to the folder of the file being worked on in order to do other functions like assign an item, etc.

I would like to have some API code with the same functionality as when you right click on a file in Vault and click "Go To Folder" and have the active Vault browser refresh to the folder of the active Inventor file.

I can obtain the vault folder ID, but how do I make the active Vault browser refresh to it?

Any ideas?

I'm using Vault Pro 2012. Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
i7-4800MQ Dell Precision M6800, Win 7 Enterprise 64-bit, 16GB RAM
Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2015
Autodesk Vault Professional 2015
PLM 360
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Redmond.D
in reply to: gary.belisle

Let me just re-prhase the question.  From a CAD application you want to open and navigate to a location in Vault Explorer.

The best way to do that is probably through hyperlinks.  If you select a file in Vault Explorer, run Edit->Copy Hyperlink and paste to a text file, you will see a URL to the file.  The syntax isn't part of the published API but it's pretty easy to figure out.  From your CAD plug-in, you can construct a hyperlink and launch it in a web browser.  The web browser then launches Vault Explorer.

NOTE:  Hyperlinks always cause a new Vault Explorer instance to launch.  There is no way to get Vault Explorer to jump locations from an outside app.

If you want some sample code on creating links, see Hyperlink Maestro

Doug Redmond
Software Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 4
gary.belisle
in reply to: Redmond.D

Thank you Doug.

We want to avoid opening up a new browser every time. I already have somewhat of a rebellion on my hands due to this. If there is no solution to this, I'll let my team know. It would have been a "nice to have" feature in our Apps, but we can live with it. Would be nice to see this in the API in the future though.

We get complaints from non-engineering users about opening up a new browser when they click the links in the change order notification emails. Some of them try to cut and paste the item number out of the hyperlink into their browser search window. Others are using the web "Thin Client" and the links fail because they do not have the Vault Pro Client installed and have to use the same method of cutting and pasting the Item number.

This could be an area of improvement for Autodesk. For most of our users this is their only interaction with Vault.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
i7-4800MQ Dell Precision M6800, Win 7 Enterprise 64-bit, 16GB RAM
Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2015
Autodesk Vault Professional 2015
PLM 360
Message 4 of 4

Hello,

Any solution about this. We have the same need for our customers.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report