Community
Vault Customization
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault API, Data Standard, and VBA topics related to programming, creating add-ins, or working with the Vault API.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update properties of a released item

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1035 Views, 5 Replies

Update properties of a released item

In Vault Explorer you can specify in the release process, that a particular user has the right to modify properties of a released object. This works fine for files in Project Explorer.

Is this also possible for items in Item Master? I found no way to do this.

Changing lifecycle state to WIP will always give me a new revision, but in my case this is not wanted (background: import of data, properties from an ERP-system)

Is there a workaround? 

In the attachment you can see the specification of the particular user

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Redmond.D
in reply to: Anonymous

Sorry, but in Vault 2012 you can't set the permissions on item states like you can with file states.

You can set it so that you can move an item from released to WIP without bumping the revision.  This will allow you to edit the item and re-release it to the same revision.  This setting will apply to all items, however, so be careful.

Doug Redmond
Software Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Hi Doug,

thank you, it works

but isn't it dangerous even if the operation takes a few milliseconds?

Somebody else can change a lifecycle state in Vault Explorer for an arbitrary item from Released to WIP at the same time and doesn't want to have this (my) result.

Today I have to face a Hobson's choice,

but do you think, in a next release this situation can softened by a user who is allowed modify properties and item attributes?

Erika

Message 4 of 6
Redmond.D

Correct, it's not a good workflow to shut off the revision bump, make the edit, then turn the revision bump back on. 

If you are going to shut off the revision bump, it should stay off and be part of your workflow.

I'm not aware of any changes to this behavior in the upcoming Vault release.

Doug Redmond
Software Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 6
MaxU77

Me personally can't agree that it make sense to mark this thread as solved because Vault Pro users do not have the direct solution like PLM360 users (see. http://underthehood-autodesk.typepad.com/blog/2012/07/feature-friday-taking-control-overriding-revis...).

I think Autodesk just SHOULD introduce some direct solution here (custom roles etc).

MaxU77,
AI2011 Certified Associate
(Soft: PDSU2012, VP2012&VP2013)
Message 6 of 6
soha.pathanPGB7L
in reply to: MaxU77

I am looking for a solution for the same issue. Is there a way to update released part's property without bumping revision in 2022?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report