Community
Vault Customization
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault API, Data Standard, and VBA topics related to programming, creating add-ins, or working with the Vault API.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some thought about Vault process

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
wesbird
269 Views, 2 Replies

Some thought about Vault process

Hi, 

I just install a test version of Vault Pro. Really exciting about it. Here is the business process I come out

1. when client email us, agent A will check it in Vault, add related info, e.g. project number, client number, etc., input person's name, input date time(item start date), will be filled automatically. 
  2. Next step anyone in the team, let's say person B will check out the drawing (or any kind of document, word, excel, pdf, etc.),  or start the drawing if not there, work on it, do what's ever client ask. 
  3. Once finish, check in the drawing, at this time, a checkbox or something should be used to mark the completion of the project, with the person’s name and date. 

My questions are:

1. Is this possible? If yes, how to implement it? Do I need programming? How hard it could be? Any example code? 
  2. Is it possible to create a report which list all un-finished project, order by date difference between start date and current date, which show the urgency.
  3. At step 3 above, is it possible, ask Person input description, then the description just input, with other information like person’s name, date, etc should go to the title block of drawing, after that save the drawing, at last check in Vault.
  4. Is it good idea to use the same SQL Server database Vault used, add some tables to manage our own data? Or we have to use our own database to that?

Thank you so much. Vault is great product; we definitely can do a lot about it.

Wes

Windows 10 64 bit, AutoCAD (ACA, Map) 2023
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Daniel.Du
in reply to: wesbird

Hi Wes,

Nice hearing from you and happy new year!

Vault provide flexible APIs which enable developers to integrate it with various system. Your thought makes sense to me, it is possible to create an "agent" application with Vault API to checkin files, of cause the meta data like project number, client number, etc need to be handled by yourself, which is not Vault related.

You may want to check out these videos about Vault APIs: 

http://justonesandzeros.typepad.com/blog/2012/02/6-hours-of-video-on-the-vault-api.html

Mauniplating Vault's SQL database is not supported, so I would recommand you to use a seperate database to store your own business data. 

Daniel Du
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 3 of 3
wesbird
in reply to: Daniel.Du

Hi Daniel:

How are you? Happy Chinese New Year. I saw your pictures on WeChat. I should post mine. 

Good to hear it's possible. 

I already watch first 3 of 6 Hours of video on the Vault API. Just need more time to watch the left. 

I will spend more time on it later and I post my question once I have. 

Thank you

Wes

Windows 10 64 bit, AutoCAD (ACA, Map) 2023

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report