Community
Vault Customization
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault API, Data Standard, and VBA topics related to programming, creating add-ins, or working with the Vault API.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Vault Add-In Customization?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
mwillia1
705 Views, 7 Replies

Inventor Vault Add-In Customization?

Is it possible to customize the Inventor Vault Add-In (VC 2012)?

Specifically, I would like to capture an event (like lifecycle state change) and fire off a task.  This is possible with the client but I can't find any documentation or samples for the Inventor Add-In.

Thanks,

Matt

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Daniel.Dulzo
in reply to: mwillia1

Hello Matt,

The Vault SDK doesn't provide a way to extend the functionality of the Inventor Add-in itself, but you can capture events for lifecycle state changes using the SDK's web service command events feature. All clients, including the Inventor Add-in, will fire these events and they will get passed to your extension. An example of this can be found in the Restrict Operations sample that comes packaged with the SDK. More information can also be found here: http://justonesandzeros.typepad.com/blog/2011/04/faq-events.html.

Daniel Dulzo
Software Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 8
mwillia1

Ah.  I see that now.  I guess I didn't take my test far enough.  Thank you for the quick reply.

Message 4 of 8
mwillia1
in reply to: Daniel.Dulzo

Also, Is it possible to prevent a connection to the Vault on the server side if a particular extension is not loaded on the client side?

Message 5 of 8
Daniel.Dulzo

Sounds like you might be concerned that some clients might connect to the server when your particular extension isn't running to catch the web service command events. Unfortunately, the server doesn't know what extensions the client has loaded, so no, there isn't a way to prevent this on the server side.

Daniel Dulzo
Software Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 6 of 8
mwillia1

That's correct.

For an extension that is made to restrict an operation on a client: if any clients were missed during deployment of the extension then the restriction would not be enforced.  A user would also ptentially be able to override the restriction.

Message 7 of 8
Daniel.Dulzo

If you override the GetRestrictions event on a web service command, any clients should not be able to override those restrictions, but you are correct that if a client is missed during the deployment of the extension, the restrictions would not affect that client.

Daniel Dulzo
Software Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 8 of 8
mwillia1

OK.  Thanks for the help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums