Community
Vault Customization
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault API, Data Standard, and VBA topics related to programming, creating add-ins, or working with the Vault API.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get BOM structure in Vault 2014 using GetBOMByFileId API.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
tadakeg
1507 Views, 2 Replies

Get BOM structure in Vault 2014 using GetBOMByFileId API.

Hi,
I am trying to get BOM structure in Vault 2014 using API GetBOMByFileId .
We have below BOM strucure created in vault 2014. (You can also refer attached image named BOMStr.PNG for BOM structure)

ASM001.iam
|__Part1.ipt
|__SubASM.iam

Here are some observation :-

1. To get BOM structure through API, I am using GetBOMByFileId API. It will return BOM ("Bill of Materials data for the file"). Using this API, I am getting correct result.

2. If I modify ASM001.iam.
      1. Cheked out ASM001.iam
      2. Update the same file
      3. Checkin the same file by passing its association file i.e. - Part1.ipt and SubASM.iam. and passing it BOM parameter as Part1.ipt and      SubASM.iam.
      4. Now if I use GetBOMByFileId API to get BOM structure, I got the BOM ("Bill of Materials data for the file") as null.
      5. If we check in Uses Tab in Vault, we can see its associated files there, but we are not getting it through API.

Can someone help me to understand why the result is conflicting after checkin ASM001.iam ?
Or please suggest right API to get BOM structure in Vault 2014.

Regards,
Tadakeg

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
minkd
in reply to: tadakeg

The best way to get the BOM is to assign the file(s) to items.

I would avoid using GetBOMByFileId - that method was never intended to be used by third parties.

See this blog post for details about the BOM pipeline.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 3
tmoney2007
in reply to: minkd

Item master is alot of trouble if you are just going to be using it to make BOM information available and not worth it, in my experience. Also you end up requiring users to go through the process of assigning items any time they make a change, and there is not a good way to keep the item master and the file in sync.

From experience, I would recommend finding another way to get the BOM info other than GetBOMByFileId or item master.

After implementing Item Master for this purpose exactly, we are looking at having an addin that runs in the background that put the BOM info into a property that we could map into vault and then your program could access it by calling that property and parsing the BOM from that.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report