Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the "proper" way to make holes or modifications in a frame?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
amarciniakTF6LQ
707 Views, 3 Replies

What is the "proper" way to make holes or modifications in a frame?

A lot of times, when I need to design a frame, it needs holes in certain members. 

What I usually do is I make a part that consists of extrusions to represent the edges of the frame. Put that into an assembly, set it as a reference par tin the BOM and attach my frame entities to the edges using frame generator. If a member needs a hole or a modification, I'll edit that frame member, draw a sketch on it's face and extrude/cut/ make a hole in it. 

Is this the way to go when modifying frames?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
SBix26
in reply to: amarciniakTF6LQ

Depends-- is the hole put in the part before it's assembled into the frame, or after the frame is assembled?  If after, then it would be better to add the hole as an assembly feature rather than a part feature.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2017 R2
Vault Basic 2017.0.1
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
Inventor Certified Professional

Message 3 of 4

@amarciniakTF6LQ

I'm a little confused on your exact workflow..

I tell people using frame generator the following:

1.  If a hole is required after the frame is welded, then place the hole as an assembly feature.

2.  If a hole is placed on a member prior to welded it to the frame, then open the individual frame member, changing the view aspect of your browser from frame generator to model and create the feature.

In the end see this reference article and review the information in reference #6 and #7.  Also read the paragraph prior to the reference #6 section.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 4 of 4
graemev
in reply to: amarciniakTF6LQ

I'd suggest @Mark.Lancaster has the right idea, with one additional consideration. If the hole's location is based very strictly on the dimensions/parameters of the individual member, edit the member directly. If the hole may shift location for any reason - change in member length, change in overall frame geometry, change in member size or type, etc. - edit only as an assembly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report