Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extruding tangent to a curved surface difficulties

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
3ddrafter
236 Views, 4 Replies

Extruding tangent to a curved surface difficulties

Below is a photo of what I eventually arrived at, but I was wondering if there is a simple way to extrude the triangular shape along the curved surface? I made sketches at 4 different points then created a sweep but I would think that there is a way to extrude along a curved surface function.

extrusion along a curved surface.JPG

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
wilkhui
in reply to: 3ddrafter

Hi - have you tried the thicken command? Are you able to attach your file?

Thanks!

Indy

Inderjeet Singh Wilkhu
Product Owner - ASM
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 5
SBix26

Sweep would do what you want, I think, with a bit of trimming needed afterward.  As Indy suggested, post what you have so far.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2017 R2
Vault Basic 2017.0.1
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
Inventor Certified Professional

Message 4 of 5
ADSKDJW4

Hello @3ddrafter,

Thank you for asking this question today and I hope to provide some feedback or alternative method to achieve the same results. I am not sure how long this took you but the alternate approach you could look at using surfaces to construct the shapes and then you can stitch or patch if needed then sculpt into solids. This can be some time involved as there would be construction needed. The other option would be a loft using multiple profiles and guide rails to get the curvature. As for using extrude only I am not sure this would be able to accomplish this.

Best Regards,

Don Warner

Autodesk Technical Support

Message 5 of 5
3ddrafter
in reply to: wilkhui

I can not attach the actual file due to ITAR regulation but attached is a very similar representation of the part. Thank you for all of the help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report