Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-linear analysis of necking behaviour

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
446 Views, 4 Replies

Non-linear analysis of necking behaviour

Good evening all,

Within my work, I predominantly use Simulation Mechanical for linear static analysis on below-yield multi-body assemblies. However, just out of interest today, I decided to run a non-linear, static stress simulation on a material test specimen model.

I am using a von mises, isotropic hardening material model, with plasticity output enabled.

Ramping the load up to max at half the total time steps, back to 0 - the specimen passes yield, and indeed passes the ultimate tensile strength - with no necking occurring, but rather the entire test specimen length narrowing uniformly.

I thought perhaps the lack of real world material imperfections was the issue, so I modelled a small central spherical inclusion to try to induce a stress riser. Still no necking, but a local higher stress of course.

I have also attempted the same with a variety of materials, varying in ductility.

Any ideas as to perhaps what needs to be done to predict necking? ...again - this is purely out of interest.

Many thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you tryed to use Von Mises with hardening curve? can you share the model ? What material are you applying? some materials became orthotropic at specific points.....

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Hi,

Yes - the material model in use is Von Mises with isotropic hardening. I can share the model on Monday, but it is just a simple circular tensile specimen, nothing special.

I have use multiple materials, AISI 304 stainless, 316, 6061-T6, 7075-T6, and lots of others, plastics included.

I'm a little lost with this...
Message 4 of 5
martin_madaj

Hi,

I don't think the material models in Simulation Mechanical are suitable to simulate necking. Of course you can use true stress-true strain data in von Mises Curve with Isotropic (or Kinematic) Hardening but only until the necking occurs. After the load is relieved, you should see some residual plastic stress and strain as well.

Martin

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

This is very interesting. I have no answer or comment other than I have experienced similar results and decided that it was not a real world model. Hopefully, more experienced users will add something to this thread.

David Harhay | Product Engineer

Sypris Technologies: Tube Turns Products
2612 Howard Street
Louisville, KY, 40211
502 774 6279 phone | 502 774 6300 fax
david,harhay@sypris.com | www.tubeturns.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report