AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert/Edit Terminal "Next Item" causes hang

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
dking
241 Views, 4 Replies

Insert/Edit Terminal "Next Item" causes hang

Hello,

I was experimenting in the Catalog Browser for terminal blocks, pulling a noob move of trying to add our part number to a field so it printed in reports.  Ever since, adding a terminal has caused it to lock up in this way:

Adding a terminal in the schematic from the Icon menu, I can add the terminal, including catalog data and other field data, UNTIL I push the "Next" button and it autofills the Item field with presumably the next item number (side question:  where can I view and change this Item list? It seems to think the next item is 15).  Once I push the "Next" button, pressing the OK button to the dialog box at any point after that causes AE to hang, whether I've made changes to the other fields or not.

I believe I've reverted the changes I've made to the Catalog Browser but apparently not, as it continues to hang.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dougmcalexander
in reply to: dking

Don't change the part number in the Catalog field. Put your part number in one of the User fields. The footprint lookup database has entries based upon the value in the Catalog field of the Catalog database.  If you change the catalog number in the Catalog database you must also change it in the footprint lookup.  It is best not to get into that level of customization unless absolutely necessary, and only if you are experienced enough with the infrastructure of the software to make such changes in every area that could be affected.  It is best to just put your company part number in User 1 and add User 1 to your report.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 5
dking
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Great, thank you very much for the tip!
Message 4 of 5
Icemanau
in reply to: dking

A real quick question first off which will allow us to help you better...

What release of ACADE are you using?

Including this information in your questions will lead to quicker answers as each release of ACADE has some major differences from the prior releases.

To track down a problem or to answer a How-To question requires us to know which release we should be looking at and as much other information as possible (workflow which causes the problem as an example).

As for a list of Item Numbers and components, try doing a Component report and adding the Item Number to the report format

You could also do a BOM tallied Purchase List report with the Item Number added. This will condense the list down to just

one entry for each Item.

I'm not sure, but I don't think there is any way to manually edit the Item list as it assigns the next free number to the next Item.

You can tell AutoCAD to re-sequence the Item numbering. This can be found in the Panel layout menu's.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 5 of 5
dking
in reply to: Icemanau

I'm using AE 2016 SP1, ver 13.0.50.205.

I found that by opening and activating another drawing, the problem no longer exists in the new drawing, so I'm going to work around it in the previous drawing and remember not to mess with the catalog in that way again.  I will explore those options for reports and resequencing when I get back to it, or if it happens again on me.  

Thanks very much!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost