Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resonance - foundation of wind turbine tower

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
IL_uke
645 Views, 7 Replies

Resonance - foundation of wind turbine tower

Hi everyone!

I would like to know if it's possible to analyse in Robot if the foundation of wind turbin tower won't avoid resonance with the wind turbine?

I was trying to do some simple tests (foundation plate) in modal analysis - but I'm not sure if it's good way? I have some results, but I don't know if the natural frequency of foundation plate on elastic springs  should change if I change Kz of soil? In my example there's no change in results.

Maybe it should be some dumper model for soil?

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
t.sautierr
in reply to: IL_uke

Post your file please.

Message 3 of 8
IL_uke
in reply to: t.sautierr

I have attached the file.

Regards

Message 4 of 8
IL_uke

Sorry for my English...
In first topic it should be "damper" not "dumper" 🙂
Message 5 of 8
t.sautierr

Your file contains only the plate.

If you want to analyse the resonance of the supporting structure of the turbine, you shall first analyse the supporting structure.

So :

Step one : put the supporting structure of your turbine (no need to add the slab)

Step 2 : make a modal analysis and look at the relevant modes

Step 3 : look at the frequency of the turbine and  look at the ratio F turbine / F structure -> come back to us.

About the foundation, I would be very surprised that you can have interaction between the turbine and a 2.5m raft ... : the frequency of your turbine will be high, and the one of the foundation will be governed by the soil -> much lower that a machine for most of the soils.

Message 6 of 8
IL_uke
in reply to: t.sautierr

Thank you for your reply.

It's not real project, I was just testing if it's possible to do it in Robot. I don't have any technical information about wind turbine that I can compare with.

Someone told me, that this kind of problem can happen in wind turbine support structure (checking also with foundation plate) and it's necessary to check it.

But you are right, this problem probably shouldn't exist in typical situations.

Message 7 of 8
t.sautierr

If you want to test then, you shall add spring support instead of elastic soil. 

Ask R.Gaweda or P.Pulak from autodesk but I'm sure elastic soil can be taken into account in a modal analysis.

I you want to see the response thehn : Time History Analysis -> do it with fiwed support and then with sping support, you will see I you have got an amplification.

Message 8 of 8

If you want to test then, you shall add spring support instead of elastic soil. 

Ask R.Gaweda or P.Pulak from autodesk but I'm sure elastic soil can be taken into account in a modal analysis.

Yes, elastic soil or support definition can be used for modal analysis however you shouldn't define them with uplift. 

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report