Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking nodes without eccentricity

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
SEAAWSP
462 Views, 13 Replies

Linking nodes without eccentricity

Is it possible to create a link between two nodes similar to a rigid link, but disregarding the distance between the nodes?

Example: Say I want to have a column in a structure that acts independently from elements that happen to cross its geometry. I can assign compatible nodes or releases, but this would be time consuming if there are many crossing elements. Instead I would like to move the column slightly to the side and link its nodes to the corresponding nodes in the main structure, so it acts as if it stood in its original position. Using rigid links would cause a bending moment in the column that shouldn't be there, due to the eccentricity.  

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: SEAAWSP

bars neglected in generation of calculation elements.PNG

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 14
SEAAWSP
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Yes, this is a solution for the example. Is there a corresponding work-around for intersections with panels? I don't want the bars to be ignored for all meshes, only for a specific one.

It doesn't answer the main question though.
Message 4 of 14
Artur.Kosakowski

Yes, this is a solution for the example. Is there a corresponding work-around for intersections with panels?
In case of a bar in the plane of a panel use the field below the one I marked. If you mean a bar intersectin with a panle just make sure there is no node of the mesh at the intersection point. 
I don't want the bars to be ignored for all meshes, only for a specific one.
Make sure the nodes of the mesh of the specific one are not generated along the bar. If they are nove them away. 
It doesn't answer the main question though.
Why? Smiley Happy
so it acts as if it stood in its original position: achieved
I want to have a column in a structure that acts independently from (crossing) elements : achieved
bending moment in the column that shouldn't be there: achieved
When you move the nodes of a column you need to somehow connect them with the rest of a model. This can either be done by rigid links or equivalent bar elements but in both cases such created eccentricity will influence internal forces in the column. 

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 14
SEAAWSP

True, the result is the same. I guess I just expected/wanted something more user friendly than moving the individual nodes of a mesh. I imagine the kind of link i described to be fairly easy to implement, so I just assumed it would already exist Smiley Sad 

Message 6 of 14
Artur.Kosakowski

Show me the exact situation on a sketch please.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 14
SEAAWSP

The lower beam of the truss connects to a beam at the center of a vertical plate, which in turn connects to two horizontal plates at different levels. The truss diagonals should only attach to the beam, not to the vertical plate.  

Message 8 of 14
Artur.Kosakowski

Could you attach the cut so that I could see the arrangement of these elements in the plane that is perpendicular to the chord please? My assumption is that you want to model the grey beam as two horizontal panels (flanges) and the vertical one (web). 

The lower beam of the truss connects to a beam at the center of a vertical plate - Is it continuous connection along the vertical plate or a 'sort' of point connections spaced with some distance?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 14
SEAAWSP

Sorry, I made a mistake - the lower beam of the truss connects to the vertical plate continuously. The vertical plate is really just there for load distribution to the truss beam from the horizontal plates.
Message 10 of 14
Rafacascudo

A screenshot of the real structure drawing would be  very good to look at

Rafael Medeiros
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 14
SEAAWSP
in reply to: Rafacascudo

Here is a section view.

Message 12 of 14
Artur.Kosakowski

Like that?

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 13 of 14
SEAAWSP

Yes, pretty much, although my plates are arranged in a "Z-shape" instead of an "I-shape" (but it makes no difference). This is what I want to achieve. The truss beams do not interact with the shell elements? I see that they are ignored in mesh generation in the analysis type dialogue you showed earlier.

I also notice that the analysis type dialogue says "objects and bars", but you can only select objects in the selection dialogue.
Message 14 of 14
Artur.Kosakowski

line7.png

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report