Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Reactions

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Engineer3636
457 Views, 10 Replies

Strange Reactions

Hi, 

I am trying to design a shell plate with a moment in it but I seem to be getting different reactions than I expect. I then tried it with bar elements and they seem as I would expect and calculate by hand.

Can somone please explain am I doing something wrong.

See link for file please take a look at it.

Thanks.

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/09005c0d455a0a5bac24f74bcea7e81d20141030143503/4d3ddb

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Rafacascudo
in reply to: Engineer3636

In calculation model use rigid XY diafragm and the results will be equal to the " bars" structure

Rafael Medeiros
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
Engineer3636
in reply to: Rafacascudo

Thanks Rafacascudo,
But why is the forces so different? I don't understand as the reactions in the original plate don't add up or symmetrical? Does robot not take the the stiffeners into consideration. Any guidance would be appreciated as I am still trying to learn robot.

Also will this give me correct stress in the plate.
This is a splice plate that I am trying to design. The model only shows half the plate it should be 260mm long with similar bolts opposite side. With moment in the middle. I would like to model it all in robot. Which way would you normally do this or should I design plate?

Thanks agin.
D
Message 4 of 11

The surface elements used in Robot don't have in-plane rotational stiffness. You need to either replace the moment with forces or apply moment but connects the node it is defined in with neighbouring nodes with either dummy bars or rigid links. Mind the support conditions as well.

moment with bars.png

4 forces with arms.png

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 11

Thanks Artur, This is worked well but wont give the correct stress in the plate. What I really would like is to model the complete splice plate with the moment and shear in both directions at the centre. See attached. Is it possible you could show me how this can be done. Thanks D
Message 6 of 11
Engineer3636

Message 7 of 11
Engineer3636
Message 8 of 11

Perhaps like that (case 1) ?

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 11

Artur,

Dont think this is correct. What I would like is to model the plate as shown in the below attachment. My hand calculation works out the stress for case 2 should be approx. 53N/mm2 with steel 6mm thick plate.

I want to work out the stress and forces in the bolts on the plate design. Any ideas?

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/df763f8e84ce88205764e4ae125ac82d20141105082304/739a1e

Message 10 of 11
Engineer3636

Hi Artur,

Did you get a chance to review my post.

Has anybody else any idea?

Thanks

Message 11 of 11
t.sautierr

This way ? 

Set your values and goemetrical data.

http://we.tl/QRWjb4D3oL

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report